Saturday, November 18, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: A Mini Taper Week and Four More Long Runs - A Journey of Discovery



Bermuda Marathon Weekend website tells me it is 54 days and counting until Race Weekend! This weekend is a mini-taper run as we run 5 miles. After that we run 11.5, 12, 12 and 12.5 before we taper with 10, 6 and 4 miles on the road to Bermuda.

After Bermuda Half Marathon II, I was planning on taking some time off before training for another Half but as so often happens in my life, the Universe had other plans in store with an invitational entry from Race Director Anthony Raynor. He has been so supportive of me and my journey. During a trip to Massachusetts this summer he had lunch at our house along with Clarence "Stoker" Smith. He was exuberant to have Team McManus run the Bermuda Half Marathon 2018 and reassured me that as long as I finish the race before the last marathoner, he is fine with however long it takes me to finish the course. Here we are with Anthony and Clarence "Stoker" Smith who helped me get stoked for the past 2 Bermuda Half Marathons!



This training cycle has been a journey of discovery. We have been blessed to get in every training run outdoors. We've trained in heat and humidity, rain, bitter cold and had some perfect weather to train in along the way. It's been a mile by mile, week by week adventure.

I've met my fears, my doubts, my strength and determination. I've met myself wanting to quit and then being transformed by the Divine finding the courage to go on when I could have easily called it a day. I've had to remind myself over and over and over again that I am a perfect runner just as I am with no apologies for my pace. I've come to embrace the miracle of my healing and experience gratitude to the depths of my soul reflecting on where I was 11 years ago at this time and where I am today. It's a journey of discovering how best to take care of myself and when to add in a mini-taper.

I've discovered the strength, the joy and the love of our family on this journey on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend. It's just like when we trained for Boston Marathon 2009 only completely different!

We've discovered how much we cherish unplugged time together on the roads; 3-3 1/2 hours on our longer runs and how we can experience every imaginable emotion together and come through together.

I've discovered how great "just" a 5 mile run feels in chilly but not freezing temperatures.


Even though there was no reason to up the pace, I discovered there is quite a competitor inside of me. I create imaginary competitors in the distance and then sprint to pass them. Ruth Anne knew what I was doing today and told me that I left them in the dust.

I've discovered the joy of running on this road to the Bermuda Half Marathon III without an ache in my heart not knowing how my daughter was doing or where she was living, and how helpless I felt when all I could do was let go and pray that she would find her healing path.

At the end of today's training run, Ruth Anne took my hand, I took Tom's hand and she imitated the announcer at the finish line of the Bermuda Half Marathon. We triumphantly raised our arms. It was so real in my mind's eye that I cried! I was there - right there at the finish line - upright and strong unlike last year when I struggled to the finish with muscle cramps. On this journey I've discovered that by training my mind and body together, with a heart full of gratitude for the miracle of my healing and the miracle of Ruth Anne's healing Team McManus IS going the distance on January 14, 2018.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):






No comments:

Post a Comment