Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: Believe



I am deeply grateful to Beth Jordan, a nurse who I was blessed to meet at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in 1982 when I was hospitalized with a bone infection in my shoulder. She was a nurse in every sense of the word. She tended to my wounds mind, body and soul and brought me cassette recordings of Dr. Bernie Siegel.

Through the years Bernie, and the wisdom he shares, has helped me to transcend the wounds of paralytic polio and trauma. However, we often joke that I am a slow learner. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, I reached out to Bernie through his Forum back in the day. He helped me to believe in my body's ability to heal. Bernie also helped me to tune out the doctor's words that instilled fear and doubt in me and to tune into the Divine Intelligence within me.

After a very serious knee injury in December of 2014, I returned to Western Medicine to see what needed to be healed. I had to tune out the voices of the doctor, the physical therapists and the nay sayers that seemed to surround me and believe as I believed so many times before that I have the power within me to heal.



I was blessed to find my way to Dr. Ryan J. Means, a chiropractor healer who shook me out of my fears and doubts with loving hands, heart and soul (and a whole lot of kinesiotape) and leading me to the teachings of Dr. Joe Dispenza:



and even though he moved to China to practice, he taped my left leg in a NY deli when we met in New York City for a whirlwind time together:


It gave me that extra boost of confidence as I finished my training for Bermuda Half Marathon II last year.

Last weekend Team McManus ran 11.5 on the road to Bermuda Half Marathon III. As Ryan and I were messaging back and forth on Facebook I said, "I can't believe I'm training for another Half." "Of course you are," he said to me. "You are an unstoppable rockstar."

Whenever I get those twinges of doubts or fears or begin to experience different sensations in my body especially as we build mileage, one word keeps coming to me, "Believe!"

It's a wonderful time of year to be training for Bermuda again. It's the holiday season - the season of miracles. The perfect time of year to Believe!


A clip from the movie classic Miracle on 34th Street:



I believe!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment