Friday, November 10, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: Running is My Freedom



Next month marks 11 years since the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards. From Christmas 2007, to running the 2009 Boston Marathon and Bermuda Half Marathons 2016 and 2017 and so many races and adventures in between --- what an amazing, miraculous and thrilling journey. Tomorrow it's 11 miles on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend III and I am psyched and ready to take on the cold weather.



I'll admit it - it's not easy for me to get out and run although I do meditate and focus on experiencing ease and joy in my run.

Given the weather forecast I was debating whether or not we should do a shorter run indoors at the gym and then I had a flash!

I remembered where I came from in this running journey of mine from never having run a day in my life to finishing the 2009 Boston Marathon; the trials and tribulations and triumphs along the way of this 11 year healing odyssey healing the effects of paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma.

I remembered how running is my freedom and how exhilarating it is to finish a long run in less than ideal weather conditions knowing that I've gone way outside of my comfort zone to get it done.

We've been so blessed with wonderful weather except for one long run in the rain.

It's inevitable that colder weather comes to New England. I am deeply grateful that it will be dry and sunny.

We are going to our go to training place where we ran many many miles training for our 2009 Boston Marathon - Jamaica Pond. It was the first time in my life that I embraced the elements in winter. I was always fearful of snow and ice and, after the diagnosis of Post Polio Syndrome, I was told that I was at high risk for a fracture so be afraid - be very afraid and do not venture out in winter!

The splendid scene at Jamaica Pond inspired this poem:
Courage - January 5, 2009
The fear of ice and snow and slush embedded in my soul
a training run in winter - the path to Being whole.
A winter scene - Jamaica Pond - a feast for eyes' delight
to witness nature's splendor and behold this glorious sight.
A leaf - a tiny dancer - skating free without a sound
God's breath directs her movements,as She guides her twirling 'round.
Families of ducks decide to walk or take a dip
a comedy of errors into icy water slip.
The branches now bejeweled with ice bend with loving Grace
sparkling diamonds' anchor water's surface hold in place.
God's hand a glove of glistening snow
hugs rocks along the wall
their heads peek out reminding me I'm answering God's call.
A scene I'd never witness if I let my fear take hold
courage triumphed, steppin' out with footsteps sure and bold.
Knowing that the pain subsides and Spirit can prevail
the Marathon is beckoning - through those miles I shall sail.


We are able to put our water, bananas and luna bars in the car and just carry one water belt.

It will be 7.33 times around the Pond ... a time for being unplugged, for remembering and honoring our journeys and getting very excited for Bermuda Marathon Weekend now just 63 days away. A time to celebrate healing....and freedom from fear, freedom to create and heal; freedom to fully embrace all that life has to offer allowing it to continue to heal and transform us.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):






No comments:

Post a Comment