Thursday, November 9, 2017

Going the Distance: A "Not so Chance" Meeting at the Gym



On Tuesday I was feeling a little bit in a funk. My heart overflowed with joy and gratitude that things are finally coming together for Ruth Anne's treatment plan and miraculous recovery from severe depression and PTSD these past three years. But a part of me missed my old routine and my old health club even though that old routine and the old health club no longer served me.

I struggled with which one of the Boston Sports Clubs I would go to. The one at Fenway didn't seem appealing to me at the moment. "Oh but I have to go to Blick Art to pick up a canvas for Ruth Anne (who is painting at her community-based recovery program) and that's right next door so I have to go to Fenway. Okay then could I at least please have a parking space right across the street?" I asked the Universe.

I gave thanks for my parking space and went into Blick Art. I spotted an entire aisle of canvas and decided to ask for help. The salesperson gave me a lecture about the different types of canvas they stocked and their different uses. I chose what I thought would be appropriate, paid for it and grabbed my gym bag out of the car.

When I got to the Club, I was still a little bit in my own haze but the front desk person, Charles offered me my towels and welcomed me warmly to the Club. There was a sign for a contest to win a personal training session if you could guess how many Superbowls the New England Patriots went to. I asked Charles if I could google it. "Sure, go ahead," he said to me. The internet was very s-l-o-w. I am usually in no rush when I work out on Tuesdays but I had to pick up Tom to go to a dentist appointment by 12:15.

I decided to let go of time and just go with the flow. I found the answer to how many Superbowls the Patriots went to and shared it with Charles, filled out my slip and was about to go on my way.

"Would you be interested in working with a personal trainer?" Charles asked.

I stopped and turned around. "Yes I sure would. Right now I'm training for my third Bermuda Half Marathon but after the Half I want to work with a trainer..." I went on to tell him my story about my journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond.

A woman walked into the Club and headed to the elevator as I was telling Charles my story. I wrapped up my conversation with him and thanked her for holding the elevator...

"Did you serve in the military?" she asked as we were exiting the elevator.

"No, why? I worked at the VA for almost 20 years but never served."

"Oh I thought I heard you say something about being in the military."

I told her my story as we walked toward the locker room.

Her eyes filled with tears and she told me that she really needed to hear my story. She was feeling in a funk and told me she knows she has so much to be grateful for and nothing really to complain about but she was feeling sorry for herself earlier in the day!

She went on to tell me that her mom had been sexually abused, was homeless living in a car in Washington, DC and was addicted to cocaine. She turned her life around, got married and had two beautiful daughters. As part of her recovery, she began doing triathlons. She is an Ironman and continues to compete. Elizabeth was the woman who I was meant to meet through the delays earlier in the day. She is 6' tall, stunning and teaches power lifting because she wants women to feel empowered and strong; not be afraid of being muscular.

I told her that I was meant to meet her today and briefly told her about my having to leave the health club I used to go to as well as the massage therapist I had worked with at the time. "You get nostalgic - we all do about what we leave behind but isn't it amazing how the Universe works?" she suggested.

She went on to tell me that the client services manager of the Club has MS! She refuses to listen to what the doctors are telling her although she is suffering with the symptoms but fights through them. I gave her my card and she said she would let Carolyn know about me. "You two have got to meet," she said.

We hugged and then hugged again each knowing that this was a not so chance meeting at Boston Sports Club. She wished me the best workout ever!

As I did my workout I reflected on how everything had to align in order for me to be in that very spot at that very moment when Elizabeth arrived at the Club. Had I made any other choices such as getting the canvas after my workout, not taking time to enter the contest or not taking the time to talk with Charles, Elizabeth and my path would not have crossed that day.

I let go of time and I went with the flow...I did not have time to have lunch after my workout before I had to pick up Tom as I had originally planned but I felt a full heart overflowing with love and gratitude having feasted on a most magical connection in that not so chance meeting at the gym.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment