Sunday, November 5, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: 11 Miles of Laughter, Hard, Hills and Sunshine - We Are Bermuda Ready!



As I looked back over where we were this time in last year's training for Bermuda Half Marathon II, we were at 9.5 miles. We capped our training at 12 miles and did not allow for much taper time. We had to go indoors for two training runs by this time last year due to inclement weather. I decided to load up on miles during what we hoped would be good weather this year ... and we have been truly blessed... and built in a solid 3 weeks of taper time leading up to race week. We are also going to go 12.5 miles this year for our last long run which is what we did when we trained for Bermuda Marathon I where I had the best time ever in a race.



Last year I pushed my pace, did not stop to enjoy the water stops or the magnificent vistas along the route, dressed too warmly for the day and I cramped up at mile 10. It took everything I had to finish the race thanks in large part to our angel at mile 12, Jamie-Lee Wright.


Yesterday's weather was another gift from the weather gods. The sun was shining and even though it was cold when we began our run, the day warmed up quickly. Even though we did a race with hills last Saturday, we decided that we wanted to do an out and back course along Beacon Street which meant a lot of hills incorporating two loops of the Chestnut Hill Reservoir. We had everything perfectly measured and planned out...Out the front door, down Chestnut Hill Avenue to Beacon Street to St. Mary's Street and back to the house for a pit stop. From the house to twice around the Reservoir and home. 11 miles ...

Even before we got to mile 1, we had a little "incident." Crossing the street in the crosswalk, Tom turned to make sure it was safe for us to cross and he smashed into the Yield to Pedestrians walk sign.



We were ahead of him and when we turned around we saw what looked like the sign was having a meet up with the family jewels. He told us it looked a lot worse than it was and he was fine.

I couldn't stop my nervous laughter and tears streamed down my face.

We settled down and got into our rhythm heading down Beacon Street along the Boston Marathon course where we had our last long run together in 2009 - 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to Boston.

Conversation came easy and was a great distraction from the hills! We stayed on the sunny side of the street.

As we approached Marathon Sports Brookline, we decided to opt for a taking off of the layers, filling up the water bottles and doing a pit stop rather than waiting until we got home. We were all feeling the hills and knowing we had 11 miles on tap today, we decided that we would forego that huge hill at Chestnut Hill Avenue and instead go straight down Beacon Street to the Reservoir. Ruth Anne came up with the idea to do our loops at the Reservoir plus add a little more and then go the .7 miles to home.

The revised plan came together so easily.

We talked about Bermuda. We reminisced about our time together in Bermuda and imagined what it was going to be like returning together as Team McManus running together as Team McManus.

As we came up the last hill of our run, and saw that we had .11 miles left we imagined coming into the finish line. I was right there in that moment and as we raised our hands in triumph I said in a Bermudian accent, "And here comes Team McManus and this year Mary is vertical. Welcome to Bermuda." I cried. Of course the race announcer won't say and this year I'm vertical ... But just as I imagined while training for 2016, I am setting myself up for total success at Bermuda Half Marathon III through the power of my imagination and feeling as though the moment has already happened. I even craved the Pickled Onion's Avocado Eggrolls which I had after we crossed the finish line in 2016.

This morning, this came up in my FB news feed memory (see Team McManus at the 2:43 mark)


While I was able to finish the race after cramping up at mile 10, I realize that I hadn't put my heart, mind and soul into our training for Bermuda Half Marathon II; and the conditions on race day with warm temperatures and traffic on the roads contributed to my body's response to race day.

But this year I'm going back to my strategy for Bermuda Half Marathon I in training, in mindset and feeling it in my soul, and anticipating the celebration of healing; my 11 years of healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma and Ruth Anne's miraculous recovery from severe depression and PTSD that will happen when we cross the finish line of the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon.

We have 5 more long runs until taper time.

And even though race weekend is 67 days away according to the website, Team McManus is Bermuda Ready!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment