Friday, November 24, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: The Big Race



Amidst the exchanges of Happy Thanksgiving on Facebook yesterday, one of my friends said, "Best wishes as you and your family prepare for the big race!"

We are coming into the home stretch of training for the Bermuda Half Marathon III. Bermuda Marathon Weekend website tells me we are at 49 days and counting until race weekend. Tomorrow we will run 11.5 miles and the weather is looking spectacular for November 25th - one month away from my 64th birthday! Sunny and 56 degrees is a gift from the weather gods.

I already decided that since we have trained through freezing cold for 11 miles and have trained for 10 miles in pouring rain we know we can go the distance in whatever the weather will be on race day although I am manifesting perfect race day running conditions. I feel race ready mind, body and soul and now we are topping off the tank of training. But if we do have untoward weather conditions, we are going to get our miles on in the gym.

This IS a big race for me and for Team McManus. I wrote about why A Half is a Whole Big Deal for Me. It's a big race for Team McManus as we celebrate healing of mind, body and soul. The last time Ruth Anne and I were in Bermuda together, in December of 2006, she was pushing me in a wheelchair through the airports. Ruth Anne has had a miraculous recovery from severe depression and PTSD that gripped her 3 years ago. It's quite remarkable how we got back into sync after not having trained together for an endurance event since the 2009 Boston Marathon - which of course was a miracle too.



I've been working so hard to heal during these past 11 years and I am so blessed with the miracle of healing in my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. During these past 3 years I have immersed myself in meditation, the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza and renewed my commitment to my healing path with passion and purpose after a serious knee injury in December of 2014. I read devoured "You Are the Placebo" and now I am reading "Becoming Supernatural: How Common People are Doing the Uncommon." I am having many breakthroughs in my healing journey. It still takes a lot out of me to get out there every week and do my long runs but I do love the challenge of going the distance and I am exhilarated that I can go the distance at least one more time in January.

Tomorrow it's 11.5 miles around the neighborhood and the Reservoirs. After that only 3 more long runs and the countdown to Bermuda Racecation is on ... excited for our Bermudaful vacation and of course, The Big Race!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment