Friday, November 3, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: Prepping for an 11 Mile Training Run



Perhaps what makes the anticipation of Bermuda Marathon Weekend 2018 so special is that our daughter Ruth Anne will be running with us. After 3 years of suffering with severe depression and Post Traumatic Stress symptoms, she is on her healing path and we are on our healing path as Team McManus. Having this race goal has been the best therapy for all of us...and to think we weren't going to run it until God in the guise of Anthony Raynor extended a hand and invited us to run it a third time. The third time WILL be the charm!

It's the eve of our longest run since we ran together in the 2009 Boston Marathon.

Last night I had an amazing dream. We were out on our run and went into a building for a water stop. There were these people lying on the floor with their eyes closed. I felt deep inside of me that I didn't want to stop and take a break. I wanted to get out there and finish our run because after we do, there will be only two more miles to get to the finish line of the Bermuda Half Marathon 2018! I ran over the people on the floor and around them with such agility and ease and bounded easily up the stairs and out the door running at a very fast pace.

Dr. Joe Dispenza talks about walking as our future self and the power of dreams and feeling as if something has already happened giving thanks that it is here now. I felt so free in my body and such joy in the run and getting ready for Bermuda 2018.

I am blessed to be working with Dr. Lizzie Sobel of Wholesome Healing Chiropractic who coincidentally is very familiar with Dr. Joe's work. She heard him speak at a continuing education workshop she attended as a chiropractor. She works with me on a physical and metaphysical level helping to release my body's natural capacity to heal itself and to be in a state of balance and well being. I love this quote about chiropractic care:


I've become aware of my habits of being and doing and as Dr. Lizzie frees up restrictions in my body, I can consciously do things in new ways.

I'd been experiencing back spasms. Dr. Lizzie was curious about what energy center in my body that was happening in as well as worked to release the tension in muscles and realign my bones and joints. I was able to meditate and release the trauma that happened to my back. I realized that I was not using the power of my legs to stand up in the morning which is when I would experience the spasms. I identified how fear and having been literally brought to my knees by my abusive alcoholic father and the experience of constant sexual abuse cut off the energy flow between my back and my legs. Combine all of this with having contracted paralytic polio at age 5 and you've got a recipe for disease and dysfunction. BUT the great news is that it is all healing now.

All of the effects of paralytic polio and trauma are now healing through my meditation, immersing myself in the work of Dr. Joe and reading his latest and greatest book:



going for regular chiropractic care, making conscious what was once unconscious and creating new emotional and neuromuscular pathways to transform and transcend my past. I am experiencing deep gratitude and happiness for this wondrous and amazing journey.

I am ready for tomorrow's 11 miler!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment