Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: The Power of Teamwork - Two Months From Today



At this moment, (2:00pm Bermuda time) two months from today Team McManus will be at the Pickled Onion Restaurant celebrating our Bermuda Half Marathon run - my third one in as many years. It's quite an incredible goal considering 11 years ago I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair after being diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards. It was a result of having contracted paralytic polio at the age of 5 and then experiencing violence for 8 years at the hands of family members.

Three years ago next month I was told I never should have started running because I would need a total knee replacement and should stop running! I walked the path of Western Medicine for about a New York minute and then was blessed to be led to Ryan J. Means, DC - a chiropractor healer. He led me to the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza. While I work hard through meditation, journaling and immersing myself in the work as Dr. Joe likes to call it, setting and achieving my health and fitness goals would not be possible without Tom and Ruth Anne by my side.

We work together to get ready for long runs and to recover from long runs. We do core work together 5 days a week, a strength training circuit one day a week and cross training at the gym one day a week. We imagine what our triumphant return to Bermuda and race day will be like.

Tom and Ruth Anne could easily run so much faster if they were to run without me. It's an issue we've discussed a lot on our long runs and they constantly reassure me that this time together - and the time being able to witness my Spirit and determination while I run inspires them in life and on the roads.

The journey is made so much sweeter with our unplugged time together. As I'm writing my next book, "The Adventures of Runnergirl1953" I am reminded of so many incredible moments of Team McManus on the road to the 2009 Boston Marathon and making sure I document our journey on the road to the Bermuda Half Marathon III.

Our time together on the roads is a time for healing and a time for redemption as the magic of running works to heal all that went before.

In addition to my in the flesh team, I have an amazing team in cyberspace who fuel my journey with their positive energy and their own inspiring stories.

Recently I cleared out a lot of Facebook friends who were not on the same page as I am; who were takers rather than givers and takers and who were not inspiring me nor did they find my journey inspiring.

A flood of new friends flowed to me from Facebook and in real life; friends who I inspire and who inspire me!

As I relish wearing my bling after we cross the finish line, I will also relish and reflect on the deep gratitude I feel for the power of the teamwork that has gotten me through all the miles so far and will continue on with the many adventures of Team McManus still to come....

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):









No comments:

Post a Comment