Sunday, October 22, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: A Perfect 10 for 10.5 - I've Got This!



In our training plan on the road to Bermuda Half Marathon III, I amped up the mileage early to try to ensure that we'd be able to get in quality miles for a good percentage of our long runs. Last year we went indoors early in the training and toughed out miles in less than optimal weather.

Yesterday was a gift from the weather gods in the world of training. The weather was what we'd expect to experience in Bermuda but certainly a surprise for October 21st in Boston. I was able to experience race day conditions with a 10.5 mile training run wearing shorts and a sleeveless top. Last year I overdressed and that was definitely a factor in my experiencing muscle spasms and cramps at mile 10.

I have a focus and intention to my training this year and feel the fears melting away. The work of Dr. Joe Dispenza's meditations and teachings are helping me experience confidence and strength in my ability to go the distance for the 3rd consecutive year and is facilitating my healing from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma taking this healing to a new level!

Team McManus was able to simulate fueling, hydration and pacing for the day. We visualized and I led the charge putting us in the moment of what it will be like in Bermuda going 13.1 miles on January 14th.

I've let go of a finishing time. Last year I put so much pressure on myself and it had untoward effects on my body. What a blessing to have the blessing of Race Director Anthony Raynor who told me as long as I finish before his last marathoner, I have nothing to worry about.

Yesterday was the first training run on the road to Bermuda Half Marathon III that I felt that I've got this. We've done a few long runs in rain, a few in chilly weather and yesterday in absolutely beautiful perfect weather conditions. I did not plan to take on the challenge of a third Bermuda Half Marathon but then received an invitational entry. I experienced a lot of fears and doubts especially as the miles added up. I've been engaging in a lot of positive self talk, journaling about my fears so I can be aware of them and releasing them and feeling how deep in my soul I am meant to go the distance once again.

Only 2.5 miles to finishing a half marathon --- I've got this - especially after a perfect 10 kind of day.



Next week we take a break from a long run. We will be taking a pause for a cause and running a 5K race.

In two weeks - 11 miles. We take a mini taper with 5 miles on 11/18.

Only 6 long runs to go until taper time... it bears repeating - I've got this!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):










No comments:

Post a Comment