Monday, October 23, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: Run Because It's Beautiful



I could write a book about what running means to me - and I am in the process of writing that book with "The Adventures of Runnergirl1953," but on this morning's run I experienced the beauty and the power of running and felt compelled to write today's blog. Running is a gift in my life that I cherish every day.



The forecast called for rain for the next 3 days here in Boston. While running in the rain has its own special magic, we opted to switch things up in the training plan this week and run today. Ruth Anne decided to run later in the day. Tom and I haven't been on a run alone together for several months. While we are thrilled that Ruth Anne is joining us on the road to Bermuda Half Marathon III, it was so special to have time alone together in the early morning fog seeing the Fall foliage at its finest running around the Reservoir.

It's a sacred time to be together allowing the rhythm of our running feet, the stillness of the water in the Reservoir reflecting the splendor of the leaves on the trees before they let go and our unplugged time together to create a magical start to the day. We gain perspective on the stress in our lives and let it go and it's a time to celebrate our relationship of over 40 years of being together; next March we celebrate 40 years of marriage.

Running has taught me that I am capable of so much more than I ever imagined. Eleven years ago I was struggling to get through each day. My mind, body and soul was crying out for healing. I had never run a day in my life when I declared that I would run the 2009 Boston Marathon. From a leg brace and using a wheelchair at times for mobility and being told I'd spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair after being diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease, to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon. Quite a feat for anybody but especially someone with the challenges I faced as a result of having contracted paralytic polio at age 5 followed by 9 years of unrelenting family violence from the time I was 8 until my father's suicide when I was 17 years old.

Running has been my therapy.

Next year I celebrate 10 years of running on the heels of 11 years of my healing odyssey after I left my 20 year award winning career as a VA social worker with the intention to heal my life. At the time I had no idea what that meant or that it would take me out onto the roads on incredible adventures meeting so many wonderful people along the way. Whether racing or training for an endurance event or enjoying the simplicity of an early morning run ... I run because it's beautiful!



To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment