Monday, October 30, 2017

Run Bermuda! Run Happy! Reflections on Hope



It's 74 days and counting until Bermuda Marathon Race Weekend. I was planning to take a hiatus from running another Half Marathon after this year's race in January but God had other plans with an invitational entry from the Race Director. I'm learning that I can trust my body to go the distance especially after Saturday's race and the way my body is responding and recovering during this training cycle.

After a very serious knee injury in December of 2014, and one that the group of professionals I worked with told me would be "it" as far as my running goes, I met hope in the guise of Dr. Ryan J. Means who whispered in my ear, "Try this one more time." I could not seem to find traction in my healing journey after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006. I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon which was phenomenal after being told I would spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair and crashed after I crossed the finish line. With the help of a phenomenal cervical spine doctor and physical therapist, I got back on the roads. After my nephew's suicide in March of 2011, I strayed way off of my healing path and lost my resilience until, interestingly enough, the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings which was a wake up call for me. After returning to the roads, I came smack up against that knee injury.

While everyone was saying that I should not have started running in the first place, that in all likelihood the Post Polio Syndrome was manifesting now and would progress, Dr. Ryan was using Kinesiotaping and every tool in his tool kit of chiropractic care, as a chiropractor, a personal trainer and healer to get me back on my healing path. It was time to achieve my goal of healing my life from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma; a goal I set when I left my award winning career in May of 2007. At the time I had no idea what that meant but now I do!

He introduced me to the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza. Dr. Joe's message is all about hope and potential believing in the realm of infinite possibilities. Through meditation and being willing to break the habit of being ourselves, we can draw that future to us.

I drew that future of healing and wholeness through my pen, my Divining Rod for healing through writing inspirational poetry. I had such hope and a deep belief that I felt throughout every fiber of my Being that I was already healed and whole.

Hope and gratitude go hand in hand. They are elevated emotions that remind us that something more is not only possible but by giving thanks for what has already happened we help to create that reality in our lives. When I began this journey in May of 2007, my poems were overflowing with gratitude; not only for the blessings to come but by blessing my past feeling grateful for everything that happened to me.



Without polio and severe trauma I would not be the woman I am today nor would I have a purpose and a passion to spread a message of healing, hope and possibility to others who may be suffering and struggling with life's challenges.

A quick story about hope and possibility from yesterday's cross training session in the pool on the road to Bermuda Half Marathon III.

I've seen so many people lift themselves up and out of the pool with their arms. It's been something I've wanted to do ever since I was a young girl and attended swim camp after contracting paralytic polio. I've been doing a lot of upper body strength training and focusing my meditation on healing. I decided that it was time to experiment and to just imagine and feel myself lifting myself out of the pool effortlessly without what Dr. Joe would call analytical thought. I did it! I put my back against the side of the pool, put my arms on the ledge, one foot bent on the inside wall of the pool for added "umph" and the next thing I knew I was out of the pool!

Almost 64 years old and I'm challenging myself to discover new ways of doing things that I had only dreamed about.

In 75 days I will toe the starting line of my 3rd Half Marathon in as many years. I'm feeling strong, confident and determined living on hope, gratitude and prayers!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment