Thursday, October 5, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: On Faith, On Our Village and Motivation

This photo popped up in my one year ago today memories on Facebook:



I went to the Bermuda Marathon Weekend website's countdown clock. It's 99 days until the kickoff of Bermuda Marathon Weekend in January 2018.

Another week of training in the books for Team McManus!

Tuesdays are my cross training days at the gym to match Tom and Ruth Anne's Tuesday morning runs.

As I was walking to the gym, everything seemed to ache. Since our 10 mile run in the rain, I had intermittent back spasms, and a lot of joint pain.

I used thoughts that I learned from Candace Pert, Ph.D. and Dr. Joe Dispenza. "I created this I can uncreate it." "This pain isn't an indication that something is wrong with me but rather my body recovers well and with ease from any challenge I put it through." "I am healthy, healed, whole and strong."

It's a little scary training for Bermuda Half Marathon III.

I know I've already healed so much but training for another endurance event brings new sensations and challenges me to have my voice and faith be louder than what I was told by doctors and physical therapists through the years. It also takes strength and courage to trust in my body reversing the thoughts and feelings that were a result of having been conditioned to the effects of polio and trauma. Fear lurks in the background from when I dropped to the ground after contracting paralytic polio at age 5, but I am aware of it now and can bring compassion and Divine healing to the fear.

One painful step at a time I walked to Boston Sports Club. As I entered the Club with people pouring sweat pounding out miles on the treadmill, lifting weights, riding the bike and experiencing the energy of dedication to their health and wellness journey, I came out of the locker room "thinking greater than my circumstances." I remembered the skilled and loving touch of Dr. Ryan J. Means, who reminded me to set goals not limits. I imagined him taping my left knee and calf as he had done in New York in November during one of his visits to the States from China. I felt his healing presence with me reminding me that I have the power to heal.

I plugged in my headphones and got into the rhythm of the Arc Trainer and then the Bike. To my surprise, after my 50 minute workout was done, I had gone 6.4 miles which was the farthest I had gone during my cardio workout! (See it helps to keep a training journal). As I walked back to my car the pain was gone! (Aah the power of endorphins!)

Anytime that I begin to doubt that my body is healed from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma (regardless how appearances may seem) I look at the scar on my nose. For many years it would bleed, crust over and reopen. Many said that I needed to go to a doctor but I had faith and patience. And now it is merely a scar. When I was ready and through the power of my thoughts, I set in motion what was necessary to heal. It did!

Then there was the time that I dissolved a breast tumor shortly after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome now almost 11 years ago through the power of meditation, visualization, faith and prayers.

The mind/body connection is more powerful than we were ever led to believe; we were led to believe that doctors know best, better safe than sorry and to mind what they were telling us. To better understand how powerful our thoughts are I want you to think about what happens when you see a photo of delicious food. Do you feel your mouth watering? That's because our mind is anticipating how that food would taste. Our body can't distinguish between actually tasting the food and our minds thinking about tasting the food. Our body responds to our thoughts.

I don't have time for a relapse of symptoms or to move backwards in my healing journey despite what may be hurting .... and by the way after a visit to the chiropractor yesterday everything feels so much better!



Whenever I think about easing up on my training, I think about my village that surrounds. Their love fuels Team McManus' journey on the roads and in life. They uphold and uplift me motivating me towards success.

Coincidentally, the link to my blog from two years ago was also a Facebook memory speaking to the power of our running village.


Today, this Youtube video was posted by my friends at Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc:


Team McManus had a wonderful early morning tempo run yesterday with perfect conditions on Day 5/5 of training:



Two days of rest and recovery are on tap before depositing another 10 mile training run in the Bank of Bermuda. The countdown has begun.

My plan is to keep practicing and rehearsing conditioning my body to my new mind healed from the effects of polio and trauma, feeling the joy in the journey and allowing the love that surrounds from my village that propels me forward on this amazing marathon of life!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary


Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment