Friday, October 20, 2017

Going the Distance: It's kind of fun to do the impossible!



Lewis Carroll: There is no use trying, said Alice, one can't believe impossible things. I dare say you haven't had much practice, said the Queen. When I was your age. I always did it for half an hour a day. Why sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Bernie Siegel: Damn right we all have an amazing potential



As those tweaks and aches and pains that come with training for an endurance event - 13.1 miles on January 14th, 2018, just 86 days away as Bermuda Marathon Weekend's website reminds me, it's easy to question whether or not my body can do the distance for the third time in 3 years.

When those doubts and fears creep in, and it's always a good idea to doubt the doubts, I remind myself of all that I have done to heal myself in these past 11 years and all that I continue to do to maintain the momentum of healing.

Shortly after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, I had an abnormal mammogram. For one solid week I meditated and visualized healthy breast tissue and knew in every fiber of my being that it was gone. I would not even let the fears about breast cancer enter my mind despite the fact that my grandmother, my mother, and two of my aunts all had the disease. When I went back for the repeat mammogram, it was gone!

Through writing poetry I imagined myself as healthy, whole and free .... running a race of all things even though I'd never run a day in my life, and had just been told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair! As Dr. Joe Dispenza teaches us, it is not just about positive thinking or imagining the future, it's about feeling as if the future is already here. At the time I did not know about his work. I was praying and asking for Divine Guidance after being diagnosed with a progressive neuromuscular disease and told I had to quit my award winning career as a VA social worker. The answers came in the form of poetry in the cadence of Dr. Seuss. After contracting paralytic polio, I had to endure painful physical therapy sessions several times a week. My physical therapist, "Miss Holly curly hair and a warm smile," as I described her in my poem, "Running the Race," read Dr. Seuss to me before every painful physical therapy session and had me recite the books back to her in tandem. How amazing that what helped me to coax muscles and nerves back to life when I was a little girl was now an instrument of healing for me at the age of 53.

I came out of a leg brace, and ditched the wheelchair and went on to run the 2009 Boston Marathon!


I harnessed the power of my mind to heal cervical spine disease after asking my doc to please show me what needed to heal before my last injection to ease the pain of a disc pressing on a nerve. I went on to dissolve the bone spurs and stop the progression of degenerative disc disease.

In the wake of stress of my nephew's suicide in March of 2011, I lost my way and went "off the rails" of my healing path.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, I had a wake up call to get back on my healing path and returned to running and my health and wellness journey but I wasn't in the flow of creating healing....yet....

I was blessed with a wake up call of a very serious knee injury in December of 2014. All that I set forth in motion in my poetry for healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma led me to a most remarkable healer...Ryan J. Means, Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine ... my Hero Healer. We read Dr. Joe Dispenza's book, 'You Are the Placebo' together and shared the teachings as we worked together to get me back to going the distance in my healing journey and in my life.

We stimulated the growth for a new gastroc muscle that on MRI was atrophied, destined to never return according to Western Medicine. Once my desire and intention for healing was reignited through meeting Dr. Ryan, I went on to dissolve bone spurs, halt degenerative joint disease, grow new cartilage and reverse the processes that resulted in that knee injury. I am not planning on a total knee replacement as was the doctor's prediction after seeing the MRI.

I had a wound on my nose that wouldn't heal yet I knew in my heart that I could heal it. It looked "suspicious" and fit all of the criteria for a malignant growth. It took several years but one day it was gone leaving only a scar on my nose.

Whenever I have fears or doubts about my body's ability to heal; when those twinges and tingles and aches and pains surface, I experience them all as part of my body's preparation to go the distance again and I also interpret them as ongoing healing from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. My body is still whisking away the toxins and the toxic memories from those traumatic events and is building a new superhighway of neuromuscular connections.

I love playing in the quantum field and enjoying this journey of transformation. The miracle is that our bodies have been designed by Divine Intelligence to heal when something happens if we get out of the way and allow the healing to happen. I had reconstructive leg surgery over 20 years ago and then had the hardware removed. On Xray I could clearly see the holes in the bone from where the hardware had been screwed in. After the hardware removal, I wore a stabilizer and was on crutches while my body did its thing to fill in the holes. Six weeks later when I returned for my post op visit - the holes were healed!

I want others to know what is possible and that we do have the ability within us to go the distance - whatever the challenge and whatever we want to create in our lives partnering with the Source of all that is.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):












No comments:

Post a Comment