Monday, October 9, 2017

Going the Distance: One Enchanted Evening in January 2015



The New England Patriots were playing in the playoffs in January of 2015. The weather was cold with slush, snow and ice everywhere. Yet the plan was already made for the book release party of my book "Journey Well" and we were not going to postpone it. {Bloggers note:I decided to unpublish Journey Well and incorporated much of the running content and my healing journey into "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance."}

The small crowd thinned out and I found myself standing in front of Ryan Joseph Means, DC - a doctor of chiropractic medicine.



In December of 2014 I sustained a very serious knee injury. The you never should have started running in the first place; you certainly shouldn't run now and if you do no more than a 5 miler and probably prepare to have a total knee replacement in a few years and by the way why don't you come back to see us at the Post Polio Clinic for a reevaluation and see if we can help you...I'll give you a script to see a physical therapist ... who turned out to be the physical therapist from hell....

The Universe was orchestrating everything that would lead up to that moment when I would meet a healer who would change my life.

His passion for healing and the power of chiropractic care shined through his sparkling blue eyes. He was enthralled with what I was able to do thus far on my healing journey healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. He reached out to me on Facebook and asked if we could have coffee. I decided to interview him for my blog.

Spirit urged me to set up an appointment with him right then and there.

There was an incredible chemistry between us.

In addition to all of the tools in his chiropractic toolbox, Dr. Ryan was reading "You Are the Placebo" by Dr. Joe Dispenza. He told me I HAD to get it. In the meantime, he sent me this photo via email from Dr. Joe's book:


I printed it out and as you can tell, it's well worn from keeping it up on my refrigerator as a reminder that whatever I may be experiencing in my body, I AM the placebo.

As he worked on my feet using Graston technique and as he taped my knee and gastroc muscle (to stimulate the growth of a new gastroc muscle that had atrophied as a result of the polio virus I contracted at the age of 5), he asked me a critical question for my life, "Why set limits?"

Even though Dr. Ryan moved to China in August of 2015, we stay in close touch on Facebook and figure out a way to meet up when he comes to the States from China where he is practicing chiropractic as part of an integrative medicine team.

He is with me on every training run and every cross training and strength training workout. His words echo in my ears and his touch and Being have left footprints on my heart.



Whenever I have fears or doubts about what my body is capable of doing, I think back to our work together.

We continue to talk about Dr. Joe's work and share in the excitement of the release of his upcoming book, "Becoming Supernatural: How Common People Are Doing the Uncommon."

I follow Dr. Joe on Facebook and every evening meditate with his Rest and Renew Meditation. His work continues to inspire me on my healing odyssey.

This Thursday he is offering a 3 hour live stream event that will end with a global meditation. I look forward to continuing to create the change I want to experience in my life, mind, body and soul with the energy from the Divine that flows whenever we gather together with the intention for healing and transformation.

I am so blessed and deeply grateful for the portal to healing that opened that one enchanted evening in January of 2015 especially as I train for Bermuda Half Marathon III and continue to heal the effects of paralytic polio and trauma.

Whenever we ask for Divine Guidance and set a powerful intention for our lives, which I had done through writing inspirational poetry and continue to set through my writing and meditation, the Universe reminds me to believe in something more and experience the power and love of grace.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):



No comments:

Post a Comment