Thursday, October 26, 2017

Going the Distance: Gratitude for Where My Body Takes Me



In my previous blog post I reflected on the role that gratitude played in my healing journey after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December of 2006.

As Dr. Lizzie Sobel of Wholesome Healing Chiropractic gently administered traction to my right leg, I shared with her how when I was 11 years old I was in a full leg cast from hip to ankle. Dr. Lizzie said how important it is to express gratitude to our bodies. I shared with her the synchronicity of her comment. We talked about how I ask a lot of my body by training for Bermuda Half Marathon III. While we focus on pain and areas that need attention, because that's why I go for chiropractic care, it is important to look at the whole picture of how much functions so well in our bodies.

Indeed! And I say thank you to my body for my health and the miracle of healing in my body that enables me to get out and run and run long and strong.

My body running has taken me from Hopkinton to Boston in the 2009 Boston Marathon for an experience of a lifetime! Along the way I inspired the running community and found a whole new village in my life:


My body running has taken me to Bermuda where I have made memories and friendships to last a lifetime:


Whenever I get frustrated with my body for not being fast enough or that I have to work so very hard to achieve my goals, I remind myself that there is so much to be grateful for. I have two legs and I'm able to get out and enjoy the freedom that running brings - whatever the pace!

As I experience a deep sense of gratitude for the miracle of healing in my life, healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma, I experience a sense of wholeness and appreciation for my body.

I saw this post on Facebook the other day that I shared on my wall:

63

To all my women friends of age; Most of us are going through it....We are at that age where we see the wrinkles, grey hair, extra pounds. We see the pretty 25 year olds and sigh. But we were once 25 too, just like they will one day be our age. What they bring to the table with their youth and zest for life, we bring to the table our wisdom, experience, and good hearts. For all we've been through earning each grey hair....be it raising kids, paying bills, illness and whatever else life brought us over our 30's, 40's and 50+ years....we are survivors....we are warriors.....we are women. Like a classic car or fine wine ~ while our exterior may not be what it once was ~ it is traded for our spirit, for our courage and our survival to enter this chapter of our lives with grace and pride for all we've been through and accomplished. Never feel bad about aging. It is a privilege denied to many.

Ladies Repost with your picture and your age.❤️

Original post by Genevieve DeRose. Beautiful woman inside and out ♡


In the above photo, my running body took me to Hyannis during Memorial Weekend to run the Michael Aselton 5K that kicked off the beginning of a new decade of a healing.

Instead of feeling anxious on Saturday running a race that I've never run before with a Race Director I've not run a race with, I am going to feel grateful that it I'll be out there, running for a cause and it will be yet another wonderful experience for where my body takes me!



To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment