Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Run Bermuda! Run Happy! The Workout



While I am counting down to Bermuda Marathon Weekend III and focusing my training on going the distance, I am also focused on the journey. All that I am doing to ensure that I can safely and happily go the distance on January 14, 2018 is what I want and need to do in order to go the distance in my life.

Healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma along with having had over 25 surgeries is no easy feat. On May 25, 2007, I walked away from my award winning career as a VA social worker to heal my life after having been diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. I set out on a quest to heal my life having no idea what that meant at the time.

In these past 10 years I've been blessed to run many wonderful races including the 2009 Boston Marathon, travel to Bermuda to run the Bermuda Half Marathon twice, meet running greats such as Dick and Rick Hoyt (and now Bryan Lyons), Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, Jack Fultz, Dick Beardsley, Jacqueline Hansen (who graciously wrote the Foreword to Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance), Geoff Smith, Bart Yasso and the list goes on and on at the Hyannis Marathon Weekend.

Ordinary heroes and champions in my ever growing running circle cheer me on not only on race day but when I post my check ins for workouts at the gym or at Team McManus' Home Gym on Facebook.



Many are inspired by my dedication and commitment to my health and wellness journey knowing that I came out of a wheelchair, a leg brace and using a cane to defy my diagnosis and redefine my life.

Today was day 4/5 on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend; cardiovascular cross training on the Arc Trainer and the Bike. Boy do I remember the first time I tried out the Arc Trainer at the suggestion of Jack Fultz. My legs felt dead afterwards (I might have overdone it for my first try).

I love listening to music and feel the movement of my body while pouring sweat logging miles that I don't log on the roads to avoid injury. After 20 rigorous minutes on the Arc Trainer, I hop on the bike for 30 minutes. Today I logged just under 6 miles on both pieces of equipment.

The workout 3 days a week is a wonderful complement to my running and training to run happy in Bermuda in 3 months but it is also a vital component of my health and wellness regimen as I continue to heal my life.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment