Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Going the Distance and Countdown to Bermuda: 500 Miles




As everyone was posting how they ran the year for 2017, Ruth Anne encouraged me to tally up my miles for the year. She wanted me to post it on Facebook. I said "No - look - all these people have run 2017 miles for the year. I only ran 500 miles."

When I continued to decline to post my miles, while I was in the shower, Ruth Anne took my phone and posted this to Facebook:
Attention beautiful people,
Merry Christmas everyone! RA here! My beautiful mother is too shy to post this so I will....she ran about 500 miles this year! it truly is our Christmas miracle considering she was told she would not be able to walk much less run! #christmashack #miracles
PS: we are also on the eve of her birthday, Christmas Eve that is....so don’t forget to wish her a happy birthday! She is so embarrassed right now she doesn’t know what to do with herself!
Love,
RA


I was astounded by the comments that followed.

Ruth Anne thank you for posting. Happy Birthday Mary. What a blessing you are to so many people.

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays. And keep doing what you're doing because you're an inspiration to more people than you'll ever know!

Happy Birthday and a Merry Christmas. Mary McManus is a blessing and inspiration. Her mission is so important, how blessed are we to witness it.

Mary you are AMAZING and inspiring! Happy birthday, may it be blessed and bright!

Happy Birthday Mary!!! You are an inspiration! I'm taking your inspiration into 2018 with me. Things will FINALLY happen.

Thank you RuthAnn for taking the helm!! Mary McManus - you deserve every ounce of spotlight, lady! You are truly truly an inspiration to us all and I wish you an absolutely beautiful day today! (and for the record, your 500 is about 490 more than what I ran this past year...so you deserve bragging rights!!)

During my morning meditation on Christmas day, I had the image of the star shining in the East. I felt in every cell in my body how I am meant to shine brightly emanating the Divine within. I sometimes need reminders - and bless Ruth Anne for being that reminder on Christmas Eve. In order to go the distance I must embrace and relish my journey and share my voice and experience with others. To be psyched and ready for Bermuda Half Marathon 2018, it is imperative that I remember what I have overcome and the miracle that I run when not too long ago I was given the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease which in fact was the result of having contracted paralytic polio at the age of 5 followed by 9 years of unrelenting abuse at the hands of family members. I was able to turn my life around and now I need to keep going the distance on the roads and in my life.

The holidays and winter time here in New England can be overflowing with love and can also be a challenging time. I could feel myself struggling a bit to stay connected to Source and to remember all the miracles that I have co-created with the Divine and the miracle of Ruth Anne's healing from severe depression and PTSD. I am so blessed that my beloved friends and Ruth Anne reminded me to celebrate the miracles of healing and to not compare my accomplishments to anyone else.

I ran 500 miles in 2017 and I am ready to take on 13.1 on 1/14/18 at Bermuda Marathon Weekend. Sixteen days and counting!

From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment