Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: Slowing Down and Savoring the Moments



This morning on Facebook, Jamie-Lee, my earth angel at mile 12 of Bermuda Marathon Weekend 2017 posted this photo along with the caption: "How did you start your day? #oneofmyfavouriteplaces"


We chatted about the photo and she said that when we come over we should visit John Smith's Bay if we hadn't already visited there. It is in fact along the Bermuda Half Marathon course. I remember saying "Oh my God - this is breathtaking" when we ran Bermuda in 2016. Jamie-Lee nailed down the exact location for me along the course for me and added, "Cue the omg's."

Last year I was so focused on my time that I didn't take time to take in the magnificent vistas that are Bermuda. I had a whole different vibe last year going into race weekend. I was tired from the way I was handling or should I say not handling stress in my life. I had an attitude of I have something to prove by running a second CONSECUTIVE Bermuda Half Marathon. I went out way too fast and by mile 10 suffered cramping that got worse as time went on. However the grace in that experience was that I got to meet Jamie-Lee and healed a memory from when I was a polio survivor.

After I got excited seeing Jamie-Lee's photo and chatting with her on Facebook, I reflected on Bermuda Marathon Weekend 2018. We amped up our miles early on in the training so that we could make adjustments to accommodate the weather. I can train through any weather once I set my mind to do it but I wanted and needed to hit our 12 mile run outdoors before snow and ice hit Boston. We have been very blessed to be able to get outdoors for every training run except one on the treadmill last Wednesday. Saturday we may need to go indoors for a 5 mile run since it looks like the weather is going to be raining and cold. I feel better prepared mentally having run outdoors. We braved the bitter cold and pouring rain for double digit long runs. We ran in heat and humidity, rain and last week snow showers. We have our fueling and hydration plan set. I have our list of things to pack and to do list on the fridge. I open my heart knowing that the Divine is with us every step of the journey.

The hay is in the barn and I am going to savor the moments of taper time. I know in every fiber of my body and Being that Team McManus is trained and ready for 13.1 miles on the beautiful Island of Bermuda. As Ruth Anne said while we were training for 7 miles on Heartbreak Hill last week, "You know what ma? If we do the half in 5 hours who is going to care? All that matters is we have a good time and we finish." Interestingly enough, my pace on all hills was one of my fastest times during our training!

This year's trip to Bermuda is a vacation with a half marathon on Sunday. Team McManus has been through A LOT during these past 3 years and we are looking forward to time together on the beach, by the pool and in the sun eating delicious food and being with dear friends.

Rather than stressing over getting in that last long run around Christmas, we only have 5 miles on tap for this weekend, I can enjoy the holiday and celebrating my birthday as my body recovers from these months of intense training. It's our first Christmas celebration together in 4 years! Presents are wrapped and under the tree, the menu is planned, the house is cleaned and we have a beautiful day planned with a delicious breakfast, Christmas music playing in the background, playing cards, checkers, puzzle time and perhaps renting a movie. It will be a day to celebrate the miracle of healing in our lives and how we have gone the distance in overcoming physical and emotional challenges.

Tom is on vacation next week. It's an ideal time for us to get our clothes organized and check off items on our Bermuda to do list while spending quality time together. We get to pause and take a breath giving thanks for our abundant and beautiful life.

While I'm excited to have received invitational entries for Team McManus to run the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon Weekend and to enjoy 13.1 miles with a full complement of Team McManus, my focus is on slowing down and savoring the moments.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment