Monday, December 18, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: A Time to Celebrate



After Saturday's sweet sensational 7 miles on Heartbreak Hill, I had this stunning realization. It's time to celebrate that I am trained for a third half marathon in as many years.

I celebrate the miracle of healing in my life. Three years ago at this time I was sidelined by a very serious knee injury. I was told to prepare for a total knee replacement in a few years and that running was not going to be a part of my future. It was suggested that I return to the Post-Polio Clinic for a reevaluation and to see what "they" could do to help me manage Post-Polio Syndrome which was going to eventually progress. I had an atrophied gastroc muscle; there was nothing I could do about that - it was like that since I was 5 years old as a result of paralytic polio. I could give PT a try. Everyone around me shrugged - physical therapists, physical therapy assistants, a physiatrist and a massage therapist-and told me I needed to give up running.

But deep within my soul I knew there was another way based on what I had already accomplished in my healing journey healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma. I'd written poetry asking the question how would I ever reclaim my life, which coincidentally is the first chapter of my book, 'Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance,' and yearning to run unencumbered and free. The first poem I wrote, "Running the Race" foreshadowed my running of the 2009 Boston Marathon even though I'd never run a day in my life. I wrote it as I sat in a leg brace using a cane and a wheelchair at times for mobility; I'd been told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

The Universe delivered Dr. Ryan J. Means to me; a chiropractor who in turn introduced me to the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza.

With Dr. Ryan's healing touch, chiropractic care and his power of belief in the body's natural ability to heal we got to work to heal the knee injury, grow a new gastroc muscle and get me back to the sport of running that has been my therapy and my joy since 2008. I devoured Dr. Joe's "You Are the Placebo" and have now moved on to reading "Becoming Supernatural: How Common People Are Doing the Uncommon" and practice his meditations. Tom and Ruth Anne have blessed me with a trip to Toronto for a day long workshop with Dr. Joe in May and I'm looking forward to doing an Advanced Workshop with him.

As I'm reflecting on my upcoming Christmas birthday I have so much to celebrate this year. It's great having an end of year birthday where I can reflect not only on the end of another year of my life but another year.

2017 was a year filled with intense challenges and incredible triumphs!

I was able to break free from a relationship pattern that plagued me for years! I crossed the river of change, a phrase that Dr. Joe uses, walking away from someone and a situation that was toxic for me. What glorious things happened and what wonderful people flowed into my life.

I've reclaimed my voice, my message, my passion and my purpose sharing my journey and letting others know what is possible.

Poetry has begun flowing out of my soul again and I've reclaimed this beautiful gift.

From a recent morning meditation:

Leave The Old Self Behind
From worrier to warrior to one who is a beast
Transformed from meek and mild who felt she was the least.
At 5 years old you took my hand although no hand to hold
If you decide to choose this life there will be treasures to behold.
The dark night of the soul I’ve known and choices came from pain
The old self behaviors from those I now refrain.
A new song stirs within my heart joy and love now fill my soul
They tried to beat and break me now I’m free and healed and whole.
The old self tried to fix and mend and tend to others strife
The new me binds my own wounds others journeys are their life.
Compassion kindness gratitude inspiration light my way
Fellow travelers like hearted come along and join my play.
The future is my present the past now cleansed with light
Leaving my old self behind all hope and healing now in sight.
Affirming my Divinity my birthright now I name
Never to be robbed again my life I now reclaim!


Ruth Anne our daughter has made a miraculous recovery after suffering with severe depression and post traumatic stress for 3 years. The first half of the year was intense as she wrestled with whether or not she wanted to live. We then had to work together to get resources in place that would support her recovery. We are so blessed to be where we are today with supports in place for her to now heal and recover. I remember those first training runs that were such a challenge. Team McManus hadn't run together since the 2009 Boston Marathon and Ruth Anne was finding her footing in running and in her life. We celebrate having gone out together every single Saturday since mid-May to get in our runs building mileage along the way. We are Bermuda Marathon Weekend ready!

That dear friends and readers is something to celebrate!

I released "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance" and as a year end gift to myself, I edited the book to more accurately reflect MY journey and added in an Epilogue to bring the readers up to date. I've begun work on my next book, "The Adventures of Runnergirl1953".

Next Monday I celebrate my 64th birthday. On 3/4/18, Tom and I celebrate 40 years of marriage.

Now that's really something to celebrate!

When 2017 began I was experiencing a lot of stress that I now realize I had a part in creating and perpetuated my suffering because we don't know what we don't know at the time. By July 4th, I declared my independence from that person and situation. The stress of Ruth Anne's journey was heart breaking yet I knew we were all surrounded by love and prayers. As Ruth Anne now says, "I always knew that the Universe had my back."

We are ending 2017 on a very high note with so much to be grateful for inside and out. Tom received a promotion at work with a significant raise. Ruth Anne is healing and looking forward to getting back to work next year. I'm back on track with my journey mind, body and soul free from those behaviors driven by the past that created so much pain and suffering in my life. We have the gift of friends and a wonderful village. My heart overflows with Love and gratitude for the gifts, the blessings and challenges of 2017.

It's a time to celebrate!



To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment