Friday, December 22, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: It's So Much More Than a Race!



There's a magical story from Bermuda Marathon Weekend 2016 that I shared in "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance":

We woke up at 5:45am on race day. The Rosedon Hotel, our home away from home, had a continental breakfast starting at 6:30. They usually don't serve breakfast until 7:00 but as happened throughout the weekend, everything we needed was set before us. There was wonderful energy in the main house as runners were getting ready to walk down to the starting line. This was our first international race and our first destination race yet one that we had imagined over and over and over again while we trained. We saw the sunrise over Hamilton Harbor and felt the excitement of race day! I was feeling serious pre-race jitters feeling like I might throw up before the race. We rushed our breakfast because we were in a hurry to get to the starting line. I took a lot of deep breaths and engaged in positive self talk as Tom and I walked around taking pictures of this miraculous moment.

"Hey there. I was determined to find you this morning. What are the chances that we would have our bib numbers in sequence?"

I was a little stunned to say the least. On the flight from Boston Tom and I met Denise and her husband from Kentucky. He was her support crew. We also bumped into them on Front Street on Saturday.

"I was on Instagram and looked for the hashtag #runbermuda. I saw the pictures you posted."

"What? I deactivated my Instagram account yesterday because I was frustrated and couldn't figure out how to use it."

"You Instagram account is linked to Facebook so what you posted there automatically went to Instagram," Tom explained to me.

"So I saw your photos and I found out about you and I said prayers for your health last night and wished you a wonderful run but I was determined to find you this morning."

A sign from God that I could relax and let go knowing that my body knew exactly what to do to run 13.1 miles.




One year ago, Denise tagged me in this post about running:

"4 years ago today I strapped on running shoes for the first time at the age of 51. I "ran" 2 mi in 27 min, which means I mostly walked with rare moments of running in between. What I didn't know then, was how that 2 mi in my neighborhood would turn into hundreds of miles and bring me so many new experiences. More than that, running was something I was doing for me. Feeling lonely? It's COMMUNITY. Feeling crowded? It's SOLITUDE. Head full of clutter? It's a MIND SWEEPER. Feeling good about yourself? It's HONESTY. Running has taught me a lot about my thinking, my body, and my potential. I've seen running transform LIVES....facilitate incredible weight loss (Melanie J. Williams), help overcome unspeakable trauma and illness (Mary McManus), help break cycles of violence and substance abuse, build up confidence when there's an asshat in your life telling you otherwise, runners pushing strollers, wheelchairs, pushing away bad habits. My running partners (Lanette Campbell Miller. Trish Freeman Broaddus, Nathan Rover) are dear to me, my race friends too many to name, my run club stretches my mind and my muscles. Life and injuries can get in the way of consistency and progress. I know that my mind will start whining long before my legs and lungs...and the first mile is usually a liar. I'm not fast, young, skinny, or cute when I sweat. No matter what, I know that runners, the road or a trail will always be ready to accept you."

I am so excited Denise is going to be in Bermuda for Marathon Weekend. She will get to meet Ruth Anne and we will get to meet her "running wife," Lanette Campbell Miller.

These past several months have been the embodiment of what running is all about for Team McManus. We have gone the distance on the roads and in our lives. Running has been my therapy, my medicine, my greatest challenge and my greatest source of comfort. Running for miles unplugged has been a beautiful way for Tom, Ruth Anne and I to reconnect after Ruth Anne's 3 year battle with severe depression and PTSD. Running is our redemption and our reward.

The race on Sunday will be the jewel in the crown of achievement of our work training since May. The weekend is going to be a time to reunite and celebrate and affirm God's Love and presence in our lives.

I'm savoring the gift of the present moment and the grace and Love of the holidays this year surrounding myself with the warmth and glow of stories like how I met Denise. I'm feeling the excitement of seeing her again and enjoying all that is Bermuda.

It's 20 days until race weekend according to the race website. We leave for Bermuda 3 weeks from yesterday. Next week will be a time for preparations after celebrating my Christmas Birthday on Monday.

Counting down the days til Bermuda and knowing how race weekend is so much more than a race!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment