Saturday, December 9, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: Six Snowy Joyful Miles



Given the weather forecast of snow with a possibility of 3-5 inches, Team McManus was preparing to head to the gym for today's run on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend. When we woke up without the alarm at 7:30 and there was not a snowflake in sight, we said a prayer of thanks that we were going to be able to continue our streak of running every training run on the road to Bermuda Half Marathon outdoors.

By the time we had our breakfast and were ready to head out the front door, a mixture of snow and rain started. Hmmm what to do....we made the commitment to get outdoors for our 6 miles and so we would stick to the plan.

The roads were dry and we were warm and toasty in our layers.

We were so happy to be outdoors, feeling the fresh cold air knowing that we had run through colder and much wetter weather for longer distances.

When we got to the Reservoir we saw some of our friends out on a run. There was a contagious joy as the mixture of rain and snow turned to all snow. Ruth Anne was catching snowflakes on her tongue. It's vital that we always keep our sense of joy and wonder that we had as children especially when it comes to playing in the snow.

Only I never experienced that childhood wonder and awe playing in the snow. After contracting paralytic polio at age 5, I struggled through even the most perfect of weather days needing to use a long metal leg brace to walk. Even when the leg brace came off, I walked with a limp and never felt a sense of freedom and joy in my body especially after suffering violence at the hands of family members.

And then, 11 years ago, I was given a cautionary tale after having been diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome which, by Western Medicine Standards, is a progressive neuromuscular disease. I had osteoporosis and so a fall would certainly result in a fractured hip. Be sure to use your cane and use an ice gripper. Only go out if you absolutely have to. They put the fear of God in me (although that's an oxymoron because God is only Love and healing) and scared the life out of me.

But shortly after the diagnosis, I started writing poetry imagining myself healthy, whole and free, splashing in puddles and running unencumbered and free.

When I trained for the 2009 Boston Marathon, I was inspired to write this poem after a training run around Jamaica Pond:
Courage

The fear of ice and snow and slush embedded in my soul
a training run in winter - the path to Being whole.
A winter scene - Jamaica Pond - a feast for eyes' delight
to witness nature's splendor and behold this glorious sight.

A leaf - a tiny dancer - skating free without a sound
God's breath directs her movements as She guides her twirling 'round.
Families of ducks decide to walk or take a dip
a comedy of errors into icy water slip.

Branches now bejeweled though bare bend with loving Grace
sparkling diamonds' anchor water's surface hold in place.
God's hand a glove of glistening snow hugs rocks along the wall
their heads peek out reminding me I'm answering God's call.

A scene I'd never witness if I let my fear take hold
courage triumphed, steppin' out with footsteps sure and bold.
Knowing that the pain subsides and Spirit can prevail
the Marathon is beckoning - through those miles I shall sail.


As the snow got heavier and heavier we embraced the weather and felt incredibly grateful that we had gotten in our 12 mile run last week.

As we countdown to Bermuda Marathon Weekend - 33 days as of the writing of this blog post - we know we are well trained to go the distance and now experience the unbridled joy of running - especially our six snowy joyful miles!

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment