Saturday, November 21, 2015

Ten Terrific Miles - Learning to Trust My Body - Right on Hereford Left on Boylston



Well it may not be the greatest pleasure in life but it sure was amazing and gratifying to get out there and run TEN terrific miles today. Unlike last week there was no headwind but I didn't want to "just" run around our reservoirs. I needed to get out on the open road and simulate running on a course. We chose a course that is so much more challenging than the run we will be running at the Bermuda Marathon Weekend. We ran from our house to the finish line of the Boston Marathon and back again. There are rolling hills out and back. The weather was glorious today with the sun shining and moderate temperatures. Definitely a gift for November 21st. I remember this time last year we ran in driving snow and a slushy road as we were training to run the Boston Volvo Village 5K on Thanksgiving day.

So much has changed from last year after working with Dr. Ryan J. Means - an incredible chiropractor/healer.



Several years ago I dreamed about running the Bermuda Marathon. It was on my bucket list. I looked at photos and the race website and talked about running it for my 60th birthday. I felt it in every fiber of my being and knew how amazing it would feel to experience running in Bermuda after having traveled there in a leg brace and wheelchair in 2007. And then I let go of the dream. I didn't believe it was possible for me to run long and strong again. Because I didn't believe in the possibility, I found myself surrounded by people who were telling me I couldn't and shouldn't run long again; that I shouldn't run at all.

The dream was dormant but never died. I sat in Ryan J. Means, DC office getting my knee taped after the blessings of a knee injury in December. I remembered how it felt to train for and run the 2009 Boston Marathon. I felt that familiar flutter in my soul and the spark was lit as I looked into Ryan's deep blue eyes and he asked me, "Why are you setting a limit on yourself?"

He gave me all the tools and guidance I needed for a successful training program to once again go the distance.

My right IT band got very tight during today's run. I had a lot of strong sensations in many different parts of my body as we ran the longest distance I have run since April 20, 2009. In the past I would have doubted and been fearful that something untoward was happening in my body and that I could be injured again. Since partnering with Ryan, I know that I have the ability to harness the power of my mind and the Divine power within me to work with my body rather than in opposition and fear to it.

Rather than my thoughts going to, "Oh no something is going to happen" to what can I do to bring ease and comfort to my body in this moment.

During the training run, Tom and I were talking about where I was a year ago. The massage therapist I was working with said to me, "Right now your right leg is leading the dance and your left leg is just going along. I am waiting for your left leg to speak to me."

Well did it ever and while it was painful and I went through a time of incredible uncertainty making my way back to my healing path, what an amazing day today. Ten Terrific Miles. Running along the Boston Marathon route and once again taking that right on Hereford and Left on Boylston. I can trust in my body because I can harness the power of my mind and am partnering with a master muscular therapist. I am going the distance counting down 54 days to Bermuda!

Don't ever let your dreams die!

No comments:

Post a Comment