Monday, October 6, 2014

The Time Between

This week is a time of rest, reflection and mental and Spiritual preparation for the Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women. I've done hills, fartleks, done 7 miles, ran races on the beach and on trails. I've run several times on the course and in every kind of weather. I began building my base last November running up to 5 miles. In June, I began training in earnest. My plan was to run the Corrib Pub Run 5K in June and then train on my own but a funny thing happened when I volunteered at the Heartbreak Hill Half Marathon Festival Weekend with J. Alain Ferry of RaceMenu and then got swept up by my running friends' feeds on facebook. My friend Gail Martin invited me to run the Father Bullock Charity Road Race. There was so much buzz for the Ogunquit Lobster Dash that I knew I had to get off the sidelines and run the race. Before I knew it, I had a full schedule of races that included the Corrib Pub Run, Father Bullock Charity Road Race, Bill Rodgers 5K Run and Walk for Prostate Cancer, Ogunquit Lobster Dash and the Spectacle Island Run. In between races I was support crew, learning how to ride a bike and went canoeing for the first time with AccesSportAmerica. I've been very busy since last November's Feaster Five Road Race.

I remember seeing the posts this time last year as plans were being made for meet ups at the Tufts 10K. I wanted to go as a spectator but my heart was still heavy that I wasn't ready to run. I made a promise to myself that I would train and get myself ready to run it this year.

So here I am in this sacred time between. I am allowing myself time to Be. I have the race course open on one of my tabs on my laptop. I am listening to my PR playlist which I used during my training runs.

I am editing "Journey Well" which begins before this year's Boston Marathon and includes excerpts from my memoir, "Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility" and will conclude after I cross the finish line of the Tufts 10K next Monday.



I'll enjoy the luxury of 3.1 mile walks as we experience the time between Summer and Winter enjoying the splendor of a New England autumn:




the healing waters of one more therapy session tomorrow at Spaulding Aquatics Therapy Center and Thursday's treatment at Sollievo Massage and Bodywork.

Tom has the BAA Half, the third leg of his BAA Distance Medley on Sunday. We'll be enjoying nourishing meals and peaceful times in the evening during this taper time.

I'll take a look back at this summer's wonderful racing moments:

Raceiversary at the Corrib Pub Run


Receiving 2nd Place in my Age Group at the Father Bullock Charity Road Race:


A PR at the Bill Rodgers 5K Walk/Run to Benefit Prostate Cancer: Sports psychologists recommend that you focus on your success as you prepare for your next race. This race was a success in every imaginable way...


The Ogunquit Beach Lobster Dash:


Spectacular Spectacle Island Run:


It feels wonderful to take a look back, sit back and celebrate all I have accomplished. I'm excited about one week from today but for right now, I'm planning on savoring these moments of the time between.








No comments:

Post a Comment