Friday, October 31, 2014

#flashbackfriday Linux Man & Bat Girl: On Superheroes, Halloween and Healing


"We live in a time when the words 'impossible' and 'unsolvable' are no longer part of the scientific community's vocabulary."
~Christopher Reeve, Actor and Activist

Happy Halloween! For many it's a time to be ghoulish; for others to be princesses and princes perhaps Olaf and Elsa but for me Halloween is a time to unleash the superhero within.

Four years ago Tom and I were the dynamic duo of Linux Man (with Tom sporting a Red Hat Fedora) and Bat Girl. We cheered on our friends at the Oak Square 5K on Saturday and on Sunday ran the Superhero 5K in Cambridge.



I PR'ed the Superhero 5K and went on to PR the Jingle Bell Run 5K in December.

My superhero powers were temporarily suspended with the kryptonite of my nephew's suicide in March of 2011.

This Halloween I am a recharged superhero. Tom and I continue our wonderful journey as the Dynamic Duo. Here we are crossing the finish line of the Spectacle Island 5K and at Tom's finish last week at the Cape Cod Half Marathon:



I am aware of my healing power and the strength of my Spirit and mind. I join forces with my superhero therapist, Joseph, at Sollievo Massage and Bodywork as together we triumph over the dark forces that once tried to destroy me mind, body and Spirit, to bring forth my light, my love and my wholeness. Healing is happening. We are allowing energy to flow and create new nerves and neuromuscular pathways. I can pour a cup of tea now with steady hands.

When one heals we all heals.

I can feel the presence of Christopher Reeve in the world, a superhero in every sense of the word and his intention to unlock the door to healing spinal cord injuries. There is a collective consciousness of healing with The Big Idea:



Transplantation of nasal cells to repair a spinal cord injury: Paralyzed man walks again after cell transplant and Paralyzed groom walks his bride down the aisle using an exoskeleton.

Halloween is a time when we conquer our fears of the things that go bump in the night; a time when we dispel darkness with the flame of Truth, light, love, joy and a sense of playfulness. We share the sweetness of life by opening our doors and our hearts to the children who allow their imaginations to run wild as they embrace whatever character they choose to embody tonight.

My imagination runs wild with possibility as I know first hand the power of healing emotional and physical wounds from paralytic polio and violence. I no longer fear the ghosts of my past. They have gone into the ethers of the Universe.

I am here now. Superhero to bring healing, love, light and joy to the world.

Happy Halloween!



The first 7 years of my healing odyssey are chronicled in Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility available on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments to The One Fund Boston to help survivors and their families who were affected by the tragic events of 4/15/13.



My 2nd book, "Journey Well," is coming soon. 50% of book proceeds will be donated to AccesSportAmerica to help them continue their life changing programs:







No comments:

Post a Comment