Friday, October 24, 2014

Pastoral Symphony

Shortly after the tragic events of April 15, 2013, I saw this Leonard Bernstein post pop up repeatedly in my Facebook stream:



Music always played an important part in my life yet my love for music and my desire to play music (I was a viola player in high school and made it to All County Orchestra) was tainted by my biological family. In my treatments at Sollievo Massage and Bodywork, Joseph has a soundtrack playing in the background. During my first two treatments, it was a soundtrack of nature. One week, as Clair de Lune played, I almost asked him to turn it off. The piano solo initially brought back toxic memories of my mother but I was able to disconnect from her energy and reconnect with the beautiful strains of Clair de Lune rekindling my love and appreciation for beautiful music.



I was once tuned to the vibration of fear and violence in the Universe but through weekly massage treatments and regular meditation, I am tuning into and tapping into the essence of who I am. Pure love and light. Symphonic music was the soundtrack for one week's treatment. The rhythm of Joseph's hands felt like a beautiful symphony was being played and inspired me to write:

Pastoral Symphony

Melancholy melody a false motif
once filled my soul
sorrowful discord
strains of fear
screeching strings
out of tune and flat
broken hearted beat.
White baton poised
upbeat beacon of hope
new tempo
Maestro’s hands
fine tune
soft sweet refrains
wafting through the air
fairies frolic and play
dancing with joy
celebrating a life in harmony
running free in the meadow
pastoral symphony
to heal the world.






Knowing the challenges first hand of living with a neuromuscular condition, on Thanksgiving, I will be running the Boston Volvo 5K Village Road Race to raise money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society New England Chapter. When we unlock the key to one neuromuscular condition, we can unlock the door to many. You can donate to my run on my fund raising page.

The first 7 years of my healing odyssey are chronicled in Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility available on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments to The One Fund Boston to help survivors and their families who were affected by the tragic events of 4/15/13.



I'm working on my 2nd book, "Journey Well," due out later this year:

No comments:

Post a Comment