Thursday, October 9, 2014

Countdown to Tufts - The Icing on the Cake


My friend Reno Stirrat posted this quote on Facebook yesterday.



It's hard to believe that Monday will be my 6th race in four months. I used to shy away from races but hey somebody has to fill out the back of the pack; otherwise there can't be a front of the pack. While I run for health and running is my medicine, there is nothing that feeds my soul more than when I find the courage to start a race and the exhilaration of crossing a finish line. This will be my 3rd Tufts and my first 10K race in 3 years. I'm racing against myself seeing if I can best my time from 3 years ago of 1:36:09.



The sweetness isn't just when I toe the line at a starting line or cross a finish line. I love being a spectator in person or in cyberspace, or a volunteer at races. This weekend is filled with excitement. Ironman Kona begins on Saturday. Friend and Boston Marathon race director Dave McGillvray is taking it on at 60 years old to raise money for the Martin Richard Foundation.



One of my friends is chasing after the unicorn by going for a BQ at Chicago; many of my friends are running the Chicago Marathon. What an honor to have hosted an L Street Running Club water stop during Fall marathon training. My husband is going for a PR at the BAA Half on Sunday as he completes the third leg of his second BAA Distance Medley.



Next weekend several of my friends are going for BQ's at Baystate. We pack up for a long weekend after that to enjoy the Cape Cod Marathon Weekend. Tom is running the Half. It will be a great gathering of friends and our running family in beautiful Falmouth.

Then it's time for the NYC Marathon. There's sure to be a thrilling race when Meb toes the starting line! I remember watching him breaking the tape in 2009 as we watched the live stream on line. I have many friends running NYC this year who have compelling and inspirational stories.

Grab a plate and join the party. Share in a slice of life and relish the sweet taste of freedom that comes with being a runner and being a part of a race. On Monday, I am going to savor the icing on the cake.




The first 7 years of my healing odyssey are chronicled in Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility available on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments to The One Fund Boston to help survivors and their families who were affected by the tragic events of 4/15/13.



I'm working on my 2nd book, "Journey Well," due out later this year:








No comments:

Post a Comment