Sunday, October 12, 2014

Countdown to Tufts - Tomorrow!

I set my sights on the Tufts 10K as my running goal for my running comeback that began on May 25,2013 with the #onerun. Initially I was planning to run only 5K's. I wasn't sure if I could work my way back to a 10K distance after not running for two years. I wasn't planning on racing 5 races since June but the opportunity to find my strength and my abilities presented themselves to me. I grabbed the opportunities like the brass ring on a carousel. I've been blessed by the love and support showered upon me every step of my way back to the starting line of the Tufts 10K.

I would love to PR it. Any time better than 1:36:09 will be a PR since my last Tufts of 2010. I plan to run a smart race and not go out too fast but keep a steady pace a notch above my comfort zone. When I get to the turn around at the halfway mark, I'll be able to kick it. I'm going to run from the inside out as I have run every race since June. I want to run for a long time so I'm not going to risk an injury or not feeling well enough to enjoy the day for the sake of time. I know I will be tempted to look at the split clocks but I'm going to use my internal split clock to set the pace.

The weather looks gorgeous for tomorrow. I want to enjoy the cheers from the crowd and the beauty of the course as the sun will sparkle off of the Charles River. Being fully in my body and running free is a precious gift and I want to relish every foot strike.

Tomorrow is for me. To know that I can come back after feeling defeated and deflated mind, body and Spirit, set a goal and achieve it! To trust in my body and my abilities to go the distance. To know that living with a spinal cord injury can be frustrating and a pain in the butt sometimes but to realize how truly blessed I am for all that I am able to do. To no longer be competing with anyone but myself and appreciate and be inspired by those who can run faster and farther than me. To make peace with my past and forgive those who betrayed my trust and to gather up all the love and support from so many that will fuel my journey tomorrow. To let the images and beliefs from days gone by be left in the dust while I climb to higher and higher ground in my rehabilitation journey.

Tomorrow is for something far greater than me. I will be running for all those children who have experienced polio-like symptoms to bring my message of healing, hope and possibility and how you can journey well with a spinal cord injury. While I will be running alone, I will feel both my smallness and greatness in the Universe. I run for those who can't, who were told they shouldn't and for those who believe they can't to let them know you can transform impossible to I'm possible.

I often say I don't know what will happen tomorrow but I'm hoping for ....

I do know what will happen tomorrow. I will celebrate my healing with a victory lap around the Charles River and through Boston's Back Bay. I'll be with wonderful friends who are my running family and be blessed to have the gift of my husband's presence, unconditional love and support. Friends near and far will be rooting for me. Talk about a gift. I will feel the power of Spirit within, without and all around me and the grace that I have been able to thrive in the midst of remarkable challenges. Tomorrow I will journey well.



The first 7 years of my healing odyssey are chronicled in Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility available on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments to The One Fund Boston to help survivors and their families who were affected by the tragic events of 4/15/13.



I'm working on my 2nd book, "Journey Well," due out later this year:


No comments:

Post a Comment