Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Find Your Distance - For Now

This past February at Camp Hyannis, as we affectionately call the annual gathering at the Hyannis Marathon and Half Marathon, as I shared my recent return to running, everyone from Bill Rodgers to my teammates for the 2009 Race for Rehab team suggested that I find my distance.

I am delighted and grateful that I was able to PR the Tufts 10K as I joyfully shared in The Finisher's Clock - Transformation at the Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women. I loved when I ran Seven Sweet Miles.

I loved being able to pour a cup of tea last Saturday.

I know that, for now, I can't do it all.



No one can really.

I need to make compromises and choices. For the first time in my healing journey I have an amazing opportunity to experience peace, stillness, strength and living wholly in my body. Yes that is an intentional play on words. I am reclaiming this sweet, sacred space of my earthly home. But I know that if I continue to train for 10K's or a half that I will not allow my body the opportunity to heal from paralytic polio and violence. I choose to give my body an opportunity to regenerate and gain strength without overtaxing my system.

I will continue to challenge myself in Aquatics Therapy at Spaulding Rehab and work on improving my speed but at a 5K distance. I am sleeping well now; traumatic dreams are gone. I have more energy to get things done at home so Tom and I can spend quality time together. Tom usually does the groceries but last weekend I had enough energy to go to Trader Joe's with him. I run my life as I now run, from the inside out pacing myself and finally being able to enjoy the journey.

For now, it's going to be the 5K distance racing or walking. I have found my distance - for now!


Speaking of a 5K race - I am going the distance to raise money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society Greater New England Chapter on Thanksgiving morning. Please donate what you can to my fund raising page.

The first 7 years of my healing odyssey are chronicled in Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility available on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments to The One Fund Boston to help survivors and their families who were affected by the tragic events of 4/15/13.



I'm working on my 2nd book, "Journey Well," due out later this year:


No comments:

Post a Comment