Thursday, October 23, 2014

Sweet Victory!

Zig Ziglar was spot on when he said:



When I was interviewed on the Jordan Rich Show in September, Jordan asked me how I didn't become angry and bitter with all of the violence I experienced as a child and adolescent. He paused for a moment and went on to observe that I was angry but I turned the anger against myself despising my body and being filled with shame, blame and guilt.

All of that has slowly transformed during the past 8 years. During the past 7 months, the healing process has accelerated thanks to the combination of meditation, running, Aquatics Therapy at Spaulding Rehab and weekly treatments at Sollievo Massage and Bodywork.

After my last treatment with Joseph, I was inspired to write the poem

Sweet Victory

On the battlefield of life
when we fight the good fight
with compassion
a heart for a heart
to the victor goes the spoils.

A treasure trove of Truth
scars merely badges of honor
wounds healed
secret weapon of loving kindness
vapors of fear
tears spilled
water bathing the garden of my soul
yielding to joy
as treaty signed with forgiveness
sweet reward of peace.

Lush landscape
fragrant green grass
a winding road leading to everywhere
I run
unencumbered
untethered
strapping and healthy
free to be me
my victory lap.


Give someone a bit of your heart rather than a piece of your mind today. You'll feel a wave of peace of heart and mind flow back to you. You'll experience the sweet taste of victory over the enemies of fear and anger that keep us from being who we are truly meant to Be.




Knowing the challenges first hand of living with a neuromuscular condition, on Thanksgiving, I will be running the Boston Volvo 5K Village Road Race to raise money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society New England Chapter. When we unlock the key to one neuromuscular condition, we can unlock the door to many. You can donate to my run on my fund raising page.

The first 7 years of my healing odyssey are chronicled in Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility available on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments to The One Fund Boston to help survivors and their families who were affected by the tragic events of 4/15/13.



I'm working on my 2nd book, "Journey Well," due out later this year:

No comments:

Post a Comment