Monday, January 11, 2016

Countdown to Bermuda: Now That the Training is Done...

On my way into the Seaport Hotel to get in a relaxing swim at Wave Health and Fitness, I felt the inspiration for today's blog post. I hit dictation for Notes while I was stopped at a red light and said Countdown to Bermuda and it wrote, Countdown to Yoda: When the Training is Done.

How wonderful!

I've been comparing this journey to that of the training of a Jedi master because, after all,



"You must unlearn all that you have learned." "Clear your mind." "There is no try. Do or do not." "For my ally is the force and a powerful ally it is." "Luminous beings are we...."



Now that the training is done I was reflecting on my arc of training. It began when I met my own personal Yoda in the guise of Dr. Ryan Means - a chiropractor who knows the power of the Force. He taped my left knee,



worked on my feet using the Graston technique, adjusted my spine and hips, gave me cross training exercises, prescribed ice before and after every run and had me read, "You Are the Placebo," by Dr. Joe Dispenza that became my manual for Jedi training to recondition my body to a new mind; to unlearn all that I had learned and continue to unlearn beliefs, patterns of holding and to have trust, confidence and faith in the strength and healing power of my body to recover from the challenges I present.

The focus at first was on cross training and strength training; adding weight, increasing repetitions, increasing time we held plank, increasing intensity of pool workouts and slowly adding miles. Then as we added miles, I maintained strength training and cross training. During taper time, I maintained strength training and cross training; diminished miles until this week when I will rest, relax and allow my body to integrate these last 6 months of intensive training.

There are so many new sensations in my body as I stand poised and ready to take on my longest distance race since April 20, 2009 and I use the phrase that "Oh that's just the furnace," using the analogy of an old house that makes a lot of noises that we can either freak out about or dismiss.

"They have the race expo at the Hamilton Princess across from where we are staying," I told Tom last night.



The last time I set foot in the Hamilton Princess I was wearing a toe up leg brace:


"It was New Year's Eve," I went on to reminisce with Tom. "Everyone was all glammed up in high heels and stunning outfits. I was so jealous and felt so out of place."

So it's 3 more sleeps until we head to Logan Airport and board that plane for Hamilton Bermuda. No more workouts. One more run to keep the legs loose along the course on Friday for a mile or two. And then on Sunday 1/17/16 at 8:00am whatever time Bermuda is on (it's one hour ahead of East Coast time) Team McManus toes the starting line of the Bermuda Half Marathon:



Last night Tom told me he was so excited to run this race. "Why?" I asked him. "You've run so many half marathons lately."

"I know," he said to me and his eyes filled with tears. "But this is the first one as Team McManus in 7 years!"

So it's countdown to Bermuda and now that the training is done I am feeling overwhelming gratitude for all the healing, the blessings, the grace that has showered upon me during these past 9 months.

I.am.ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment