Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Treadmill Run....Climbing to Greater Heights

Even one year ago I did not have the strength, stamina or balance to run on a treadmill. While training for the Bermuda Half Marathon I did a treadmill run because it was incredibly rainy and cold outside. It was a struggle.

Now that I have crossed the finish line of the Bermuda Half Marathon, I am ready to take on new challenges and climb to greater heights in my health and wellness journey.

When I woke up at 6 am yesterday, the roads had black ice on them. I could have waited for the day to warm up and gone outside, but I was pumped and ready for my morning run. Tom and I did our core work together and then I fired up the treadmill.

I made sure I stretched before I ran and warmed up but then I kicked the pace up a notch. I had to lightly hold on to ensure my balance and stability on the treadmill but I was definitely feeling badass getting my pace down to 14:37 for the last mile!

Tom cheered me on and was my official photographer while I blared my tunes and at times sang along:


A little over 9 months ago Jeffrey Spratt, MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies set the intention for me to run unencumbered after my first session with him. My heart, mind, soul and body soaked up those words like a thirsty sponge. I'd been writing poetry about running unencumbered and free and asking the question how will I ever reclaim my life (after contracting paralytic polio and enduring 9 years of violence 3 years after contracting polio). With every workout I gain strength, confidence and more freedom in my body. What a joy to work up a sweat as I fearlessly pushed my body.

With every workout I reclaim my life and reclaim my advantage. Every week I clear away the rubble from the devastation of the past and see the new lush, prospering (Jeffrey's word) landscape of my earthly home partnering with Jeffrey through the power of positive touch using the Spratt Method of Muscular Therapy; an innovative approach to bodywork. In a recent treatment Jeffrey shared with me how majestic and magnificent the landscape is in Alaska. He was quick to note that the land had a violent past yet out of that violence emerged beauty. He went on to comment, "and you certainly are beautiful."

After I posted the picture from yesterday's run, two of my friends commented about how they could see what a great run I had.

And that run was on a treadmill!

Yes I am climbing to greater heights healing all that went before gaining momentum and excited for crushing new old goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment