Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Climb That Mountain! - On Goals and Momentum

After I ran the Bermuda Half Marathon, my dear friend and sole sister Susan Stirrat posted this image and quote on Facebook and said, "You climbed that mountain."



Yesterday on Facebook I woke up to this quote by my dear friend, Chosen Dad and healer, bernie:

there are times in life when you gotta fall

lose your grip and stumble and fall

when you can't lean on no one else

that's when you find yourself

the going's easy when the road is flat

them danged old hills will get you every time

god gave us mountains so we'd learn how to climb
~ Bernie Siegel, MD

One year ago at this time a very large mountain loomed before me. I had an encounter with a physical therapist that veered me as far away from the medical model as I could get and steered me into the office of healer chiropractor Dr. Ryan Means. Things began to get strange with the massage therapist I was working with as I partnered with Dr. Ryan and I could feel promptings from the Universe that I would probably need to find someone new to partner with me if/since I was going to go the distance again.

As I looked up that mountain I wondered if I had it in me to come back after a serious knee injury and to go the distance in my healing journey; to plant my flag on that mountain summit. I'd written many poems about climbing mountains and reclaiming my homeland. While I may have experienced doubts and fears about climbing that mountain in front of me, my subconscious through the power of my pen, my divining rod for healing had already set the course in motion.

Little by little, step by step, I steady climbed that mountain. Every day, every week with intention and attention I worked out on my own and then partnered with Dr. Ryan to experience healing and momentum. I climbed that mountain to my goal of running the Bermuda Half Marathon. The view from the summit - exhilarating -


and now that I have conquered that mountain I am going to enjoy the next phase of my journey.

On February 28th, Team McManus toes the line at the Hyannis 10K Marathon. For several years I was on the sidelines cheering on Tom, runners training for the Boston Marathon with the Spaulding Rehab Race for Rehab team and enjoying being a part of the Camp Hyannis weekend. But I missed out on the thrill of participating in the race and hanging out after the race wearing my bling. It's been 5 years since I ran in Hyannis.

July 3rd will take us back to Finish at the 50 at Gillette Stadium where the road to the Bermuda Half Marathon weekend all began meeting race director Anthony Raynor and assistant Clarence Smith (although for years Clarence was the R.D.). What a different race it will be for me...from feeling anxious about running my first 5K after a knee injury in December of 2014 to running it after having run the Bermuda Half.

And after Finish at the 50, we start training all over again for:



I'm sitting here smiling from ear to ear as I sit atop the mountain of accomplishment enjoying the splendid view. I'm excited for reaching new heights in my health and wellness journey in 2016 and I'm so happy to have you along for the ride.

To your health and wellness,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment