Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Courage to Start



Before I ran the 2009 Boston Marathon, I found this quote by John Bingham. Truer words were never spoken. Yes I finished the 2009 Boston Marathon and it was a glorious journey from those first tentative running steps to the finish line on Boylston Street but I had to find the courage to start after I uttered those fateful words, "And I want to run the 2009 Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab Hospital," even though I had never run a day in my life.

I was going to hang up my running shoes after a knee injury in December and then I was going to set a limit of only 5 miles if I were going to run again.

So how did I find the courage to start again after the knee injury? How did I find the courage to start with another massage therapist holding onto hope and not giving up? The Universe sent me Dr. Ryan and then Jeffrey Spratt, MT, Owner and Principal of Spratt Muscular Therapies, LLC who both supported and encouraged me to set whatever goals I wanted to set for myself. At first I was going to run another marathon but now I am very content with 13.1 miles. I couldn't stop and wouldn't stop although of course at the time there were moments of incredible doubt and wanting to settle.

There's this fire that burns within me. I can't explain it. God knows that with all that happened to me, it should have been doused ages ago.


My work with Jeffrey both as his Communications and Public Relations Director and the work I do on the massage table with him fans the fire in my soul. The amazing people I am meeting through working with him and my village fans the flames. It is now an eternal flame that keeps fueling and feeding on itself creating momentum in my healing journey and in my being able to go the distance.

The courage to start began as a flicker but with Divine Love and compassion and amazing healers who came into my life along with my partner Tom of almost 40 years I am burning ever so brightly; a beacon for others who may have lost hope and faith that in fact once you take that first step in the right direction, all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment