Thursday, August 6, 2015

A dream is a wish your heart makes ....



Two of my friends are on vacation in Disney World. Their posts from last night appeared one after another in my Facebook Feed about watching the wishes fireworks!

As I drove to the Seaport Hotel's WaveHealth and Fitness Club on Monday I felt as though someone should pinch me for the charmed life I now lead.

In March of 2007 as I prepared to leave the VA to heal my life, a friend of mine suggested that I keep a 30 day journal imagining what life would be like after I left the VA. I would start every day writing on legal paper imagining a day in my life after I left the VA. I imagined freedom, joy, meeting up with amazing people in luxurious settings, exercise and working out a gym; okay so being on Oprah and touring the country as a motivational speaker was part of the vision but you know what? I have not ruled that out yet. It wasn't so much about the what but about the feeling I would bring to each day. Gratitude was an integral part of my journal giving thanks for the life that I believed was already created.

I was dreaming .. I was making wishes for a life free from struggle and suffering; a life of ease and financial freedom. I was making a wish to be able to wake up in the morning and feel energized, happy and eager to create a great day. I wished to be healthy and whole feeling free in my body. I wrote poetry about reclaiming my life.

I wrote this journal while I was still wearing a leg brace and had absolutely no idea how or when any of that was going to happen.

I wished...

And when I gave my notice at the VA, the staff thought I was crazy for chasing after my dreams of being a poet and writer and taking a leap of faith to heal my life. Little did they know what I knew....

I believed with all my heart that change was possible and that there was a future better than the present conditions I was living in in March 2007.

And I am healthy and whole healing and rewiring everything living the life of my dreams. And I continue to dream...running Falmouth in the Fall and the Bermuda Half Marathon in January with my sights set on the full Newport Marathon in 2016.

I dream of steady head and hands and feel this happening more and more every day; running swift at a 12:00 minute/mile pace. I run free and unencumbered and know the pace will come.
I dream of winning the lottery and sharing our winnings with family and friends. I can experience the tears of joy that I'll experience when that comes into this Universe.

I am grateful for every precious moment of my life as it is right now because I dreamed this life into existence and never gave up the belief that total healing and happiness is mine to claim. I am deeply deeply grateful to my running and life partner Tom for also believing and wishing and dreaming with me trusting and having faith that I would and could heal.

A dream is a wish your heart makes --- thank you Walt Disney for reminding us that we need to wish and to dream and to keep moving forward on our path!

From Walt Disney:

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."







I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing journey after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease as a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and 9 years of childhood domestic violence in Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility.


In Journey Well, the journey continues in the wake of my nephew's suicide on 3/4/11 and the events of 4/15/13. Through my journey of healing and transformation, we learn that no matter what life circumstances happen to us, we can always find a way to journey well.


"Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems," my latest collection of inspirational poetry is now available soon on Amazon








No comments:

Post a Comment