Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Going the Distance: This Girl is on Fire: On Badassery and Healing

One of my friend's posted this on Facebook:



After completing another week of training for the Bermuda Half Marathon in January I was feeling like a badass. Alicia Keys' song This Girl is On Fire hit home for me this morning:

What synchronicity that in the intro to her video, Alicia Keys says all women are naturally badass.




This morning during my meditation I became aware of how I dissociated to survive the violence. The polio virus compromised connections from my brain and spinal cord to my extremities and respiratory system. Having to dissociate to survive severely compromised these connections resulting in tremors and weakness. But the great news is that I am sprouting new connections following the lead of Dr. Ryan J. Means, chiropractor extraordinaire and the work of Dr. Joe Dispenza!

During my meditation I reflected on how the connection from my brain to my hand can initially stall when I have to sign for something or write but once I get fired up, the connection flows!

It was incredibly exciting to experience both the disconnection the effects of initially being paralyzed and then dissociating to survive and feeling how the reconnection is now happening.

I felt gentle tears streak down my cheek during the meditation and felt so much compassion for what I have had to overcome.

I know in every fiber of my being that this time I am going the distance in my life and on the roads.

There is no stopping me now because I am badass and I am on fire!




I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing journey after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease as a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and 9 years of childhood domestic violence in Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility.


"Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems," my latest collection of inspirational poetry is now available soon on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment