Thursday, July 26, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: On Miracles and Hope



The woman walking gingerly up the ramp to exit the pool turned to me and said, "I'm sorry I'm walking so slowly."

"Oh no need to apologize," I said. I had seen her working with her physical therapist in the pool. "It's hard work isn't it?"

"I just want to feel like myself again," she said as her eyes filled with tears.

Her knees hyperextended when she experienced a fall last year and she hasn't been able to regain her mobility.

I felt compelled to share my story with her.

Her eyes filled with tears. "Oh my goodness. You created about 4 miracles in your life!"

I shared with her how I ran Boston in 2009, the ups and downs in my journey and then my latest miracle in December of 2014 after a serious knee injury that blew out my left knee. I was told I wouldn't and shouldn't run but if I did - no more than a 5K and then went on to run 3 consecutive Bermuda Half Marathons. I shared with her the resources and methods I used to heal and what I continue to do to heal the effects of paralytic polio and trauma.

I grabbed pen and a piece of paper from the lifeguard's office and wrote down information for her. I recommended Dr. Joe Dispenza's book, "You Are the Placebo," and encouraged her to go on line to find meditations that would help her to heal. I told her about Dr. David Hamilton, Ph.D.'s work and how my story is going to be included in the next edition of "How the Mind Can Heal the Body." I suggested she visit my website and blog.

She told me I was her guardian angel and she has been blessed to meet many angels in her healing journey. She found a wonderful surgeon in Needham who told her that she'd support her efforts to try everything she could to avoid total knee replacement surgery. After I shared with her my experience with chiropractic care, she was inspired to contact her chiropractor and resume treatment!

I told her how deeply blessed and honored I felt to be a part of her journey; how I was blessed to have so many angels come into my life just when I needed them throughout my life.

She asked me when I swim and I told her Tuesday mornings; she'll be there for her physical therapy sessions in the pool.

"I can't believe what hope you've given me. I mean here you are -- 11 years after being told you should prepare to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair and all you've accomplished."

I shared with her how I appreciate the miracle of healing that I co-created in my life; how I appreciate every pain free step and feeling free in my body.

I am grateful for the gifts of polio, trauma and Post-Polio Syndrome in my life. Without them I would not be the person I am today and would not be able to inspire others with miracles and hope.

I am deeply grateful that I can celebrate 10 years of running and share this miraculous journey of healing, hope, possibility and miracles!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." It's available for pre-order on Amazon.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment