Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: For the Pure Joy of It!



The heat and humidity was intense yesterday morning when Tom and I woke up to go on a run. Usually the heat and humidity saps my energy. Most people's energy is usually sapped by heat and humidity but I'm still recovering from the effects of paralytic polio and I can be especially vulnerable to wilting.

But not yesterday! I had a powerful mindset for my run - an intention to feel the joy of running. Yesterday's run came on the "heels" of the theme of gratitude. It was as though the heat lit a fire within me.

After Tom and I did our morning meditation and core work, ate a banana and hydrated, we headed out the front door with frozen water bottles around his waist and my Nike+ on my arm playing tunes on my new running playlist.

We decided to go once around the big aka Chestnut Hill Reservoir.

As the sweat poured and we basked in the gift of each other's company, I realized that I was going at a pretty fast pace. Tom noted that I was doing negative splits according to his Garmin.

I felt the joy of pushing myself; I felt the joy of pouring sweat and the joy of running.

This is the first year in 3 years that I am not training for an endurance event. I loved the challenge of going the distance 3 consecutive years in the Bermuda Half Marathon but I knew it was time to take a break and allow my body a chance to continue to heal from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma without the added strain of training for 13.1 miles.

I'm feeling good in the skin I am in for the first time in my life and able to experience the beauty and joy of running.


The joy continued as my body continued to pour sweat preparing an apres run breakfast of raisin bran and banana, toast and orange juice. Tom had coffee with his breakast and the smell of coffee and toast tickled my soul with more joy. As a side note, I stopped drinking coffee after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome but I can still savor the aroma.


I LOVE how breakfast tastes after a good run or a strength training workout. Food tastes so good as nausea yields to the joy of refueling. I savor every bite knowing how I am treating my body with love and respect. My gas tank goes from empty to full.

As my body recovered from the run, the feeling of running for the pure joy of it lingered in my mind and soul.

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body."

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


Coming soon *** The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 ****









No comments:

Post a Comment