Friday, July 6, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Woohoo What a Ride!



One of my friend's posted on Facebook yesterday that she was the oldest one going down the water slide at the resort where she is taking a vacation. Her family was napping. She added that she might have even said, "wheeee" when she went down the slide. She has gone through two years of a journey back to health and wellness after breast cancer.

The story of how we met is fascinating.

Rewind to the Hyannis Marathon Weekend Race Expo 2016. The 2015 Marathon Weekend was cancelled due to an abundance of snow including a snow storm that walloped olde Cape Cod right before the Weekend. I was supposed to have a table at the Expo that year. I was running the 10K in 2016 and had not planned to have a Table at the Expo. One of my friend's posted on Facebook that I had a table across from her. I grabbed a couple of copies of my books that I had on hand along with my Bermuda Half Marathon medal, my Hyannis Half Marathon medal from 2009, my Boston Marathon medal, a photo of me finishing the Boston Marathon:


and my business cards.

"Oh my God. It's a sign!" MaryBeth said.

A group of runners from the Mystic Runners in Wakefield circled my table.

"We were just talking about going to Bermuda to run."

We all bubbled up with excitement as I shared my journey with them.

We became Facebook friends and friends in real life. Michelle our fearless water slide champion was among those with whom I became good friends. She also had a hashtag while she was undergoing surgeries and treatment for breast cancer, #eatacannoli.

Wouldn't it be great if we could live fearlessly and joyfully with reckless abandon without needing a wake up call or having a crisis call us to live life to the fullest?

Yet all that matters is what we do after the wake up call!

My wake up call came in the guise of Post-Polio Syndrome. I was told I "had" a progressive neuromuscular disease in December of 2006. The effects from childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma that resulted in a mind/body disconnection finally caught up with me.

I was at a crossroads in my life. As I had done whenever I faced challenges throughout my life, I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. The answer came through my diving rod for healing, my pen, in the cadence of Dr. Seuss. My beloved physical therapist, Miss Holly, read Dr. Seuss to me before every painful physical therapy session while I recovered from polio. To distract me from the pain of the treatment, she had me recite whatever book we read that day back to her in tandem.

Running the Race

Early summer 1959 my kindergarten year
everyone around me filled with nervous fear
despite the Salk vaccine hope polio would disappear
the polio virus crept right up and knocked me in the rear.

Dancing all around the gym feeling free just like a bird
I dropped to the ground just like a stone and no one said a word.
The pain it was so searing-the diagnosis even worse
"It's polio" the doctor said...he was abrupt and terse.

Called one of the 'lucky ones' I had a 'mild case'
but with the other athletes I could never keep their pace.
Miss Holly physical therapist, curly hair and a warm, broad smile
it tempered the pain of being apart - to walk I'd take awhile.

I always wore those 'special' shoes the kids they poked and teased
With no support and much abuse with childhood I wasn't pleased.
But put nose to the grindstone and learned all that I could
I couldn't kick a ball but my grades were always good.

Years went by and no more thought to polio did I give
I accepted the limp and everything else and decided my life I would live.
But symptoms of weakness and muscle pain did grow
I kept a stoic face hoping no one else would know.

Life no longer was my own I struggled through each day
Suffered in silence, isolated from friends- trying to keep depression at bay.
And with the grace of glorious God my world it opened wide
I discovered there was a Post Polio team and they were on my side.

Using wheelchair to travel, set limits on what I could do,
resulted in joy to realize I could live life anew.
Celebrated my body- creaks, groans and need for a brace
While in my mind I focused on winning a 10K race.

Sought out paths for healing and my spirit flew free
for the first time in life, I could truly be me.
The chains are gone and possibilities abound
I'm a tree with my roots planted firmly in ground.

I'm now off the sidelines, no need to sit and whine
So much gratitude fills my heart and love and beauty shine.
After all these years I can join the loving human race
I exceed all expectations and now I set the pace.


I was indeed curious about why I was writing about running a race as I sat in a leg brace using a cane and at times a wheelchair for mobility. But there it was - and it foreshadowed my 2009 Boston Marathon run!

It's been 10 years of running adventures since I bought my first pair of running shoes in February of 2008.

I've met so many wonderful people along the way and feel so blessed that I am able to continue to work out and run.

The doctors and physical therapists may have told me if I use it, I will lose it based on the notion that I lost neuromuscular connections as a result of the initial polio virus. Through the normal aging process, so they thought, the deterioration would continue at a more rapid rate. But deep down inside I knew that I needed to move. Science has now shown how our bodies have enormous capacity for healing and regeneration.

What an absolute joy to celebrate 10 years of running. I plan to arrive at the end of my life with my body thoroughly used up having enjoyed rather than endured the journey saying woohoo what a ride!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


Coming soon *** The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 ****

No comments:

Post a Comment