Thursday, July 19, 2018

Inspiring Others With What's Possible!




"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland

David Hamilton, Ph.D. wrote the first edition of "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body" ten years ago. He put out a call for healing stories from people who healed themselves through visualization.

Here is what I sent to him:
Eleven years ago I was diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine Standards. My life came to a screeching halt. I was at the height of my award winning career as a VA social worker yet was told if there were any "hope" of stabilizing the symptoms where they were I needed to quit my job, be prepared to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair possibly needing a feeding tube because I would aspirate my food due to weakness on the left side of my esophagus. I was weak and in chronic pain, anxious and depressed.

I got still and asked for Divine Guidance and I began writing poetry in which I imagined myself being whole, healed and free in my body. My first poem was "Running the Race" - yes I know pretty incredible as I sat in a leg brace using a cane and at times a wheelchair for mobility. I went on to run the 2009 Boston Marathon as a mobility impaired runner. In addition to using poetry as a vehicle for visualization, I meditated several times a day imagining God as my master electrician rewiring my neuromuscular system and healing the effects of both childhood paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma that manifested as Post Polio Syndrome.

Three years ago, my left knee "blew out". I was pushing myself way too hard in my running without cross training. MRI indicated an atrophied gastroc muscle, bone spurs, degenerative changes due to osteoarthritis and multiple knee surgeries, shredded cartilage and a fatty lipoma. I was told to stop running and prepare to need a total knee replacement in a few years.

I returned to visualization and found my way to a wonderful chiropractor who supported my using visualization and a set goals not limits philosophy. He was also a personal trainer who prescribed exercises to support me as a runner. We used KT tape and the power of visualization to heal my knee and grow a new gastroc muscle.

I upped my game of time spent in meditation using visualization harnessing the power of my mind and the Divine within and around me and in January crossed the finish line of my 3rd Bermuda Half Marathon in as many years.

At the age of 64 years old not only am I not in a wheelchair and have not had a total knee replacement but life a full, vibrant life through the power of visualizing myself from illness to wellness claiming my birthright to be healthy.


After I sent him additional information about the specifics of how I turned around my prognosis, he wrote,
Thank you so much, Mary. What wonderful use of visualisation!!! I LOVE it. :-)

I love how creative you were and also how committed you were. I think your examples of visualisation will give many other people hope, who have none!

I’m meeting with my publisher at the end of the month to go through the examples I’ve been sent. Is it OK if I get back in touch with you then to confirm if we’ve been able to use your example? Personally, I really love it so I’m pretty sure it’ll make the final edit. :-)

Thanks again, and have a lovely day,


I am so excited to share with you that my story is going to be included in the newest edition of David's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body."


You can pre-order it on Amazon.

An authoritative and accessible book by a qualified scientist, showing incredible proof of the mind-body connection.

There is no longer any doubt that the way we think affects our bodies: countless scientific studies have shown this to be true. For former pharmaceutical scientist Dr David Hamilton, the testing of new drugs highlighted how profoundly the mind and body are connected. Time and time again, the control group of patients in drug trials improved at similar rates to those who actually received the medicines. Astounded, Dr Hamilton decided to change the direction of his work to explore the relationship between the mind and the body.

This bestselling acclaimed book was first published 10 years ago. In it, Dr Hamilton explores the effect of visualization, belief and positive thinking on the body, and shows how using our imagination and mental processes can stimulate our own defences and healing systems to combat disease, pain and illness.

In this new edition, Dr Hamilton has added four new chapters to discuss the latest cutting-edge information and extraordinary new techniques. These include using imagery to stimulate the immune system - a method that can benefit cancer patients undergoing conventional treatment - effectively using the mind to speed up rehabilitation from stroke, and powerful visualization strategies to help facilitate recovery from injury and illness.


While I share my story on Facebook, in this blog and in my books, having my story included in David's book is going to have a wider audience reach. He has appeared in the movie Heal Documentary, and is an internationally renowned speaker and author. His publisher is Hay House UK.

So often people do not know what is possible when it comes to healing our bodies harnessing the power of our minds.

I've heard many stories of people who say, "Oh I tried this or that and it doesn't work."

During these past 11 years I have experienced and experimented with many different paths to healing. I am so blessed and grateful that I found my way to chiropractic care with Dr. Lizzie Sobel. I meditate 3 times a day. My morning and evening meditations are 20 minutes each; my afternoon meditation is a 45 minute meditation. I use either a meditation from Dr. Joe Dispenza, Dr. Bernie Siegel or the soundtrack from Heal. It has taken me persistence and dedication to maintain momentum on my health and wellness journey healing the effects of childhood paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma. I work out five days a week; two days of running, two days in the pool and one day strength training on land.

My dedication is to myself and my own well being but it's also to send a message of healing, hope and possibility to others inspiring them to know just what is possible despite all appearances to the contrary!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." It's available for pre order on Amazon.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


Coming soon *** The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 ****





No comments:

Post a Comment