Sunday, July 22, 2018

The cure for anything is....



I slogged through the first mile of yesterday's 5K run. The weather was perfect for a run. There was a headwind but it was sunny and cool. The vista of Boston Harbor is stunning. Running from Carson Beach to U.Mass Boston and back is a route we've run for the past 3 years training for the Bermuda Half Marathon and one we love to run. It seemed as though I had the weight of the world on my shoulders. I wondered if I would ever get back to a faster pace knowing full well that:



We passed by JFK's sailboat and people had paused to look at the boat and the accompanying plaque.

Tom and I decided to pause for a moment and take a photo and read the plaque that we had run by countless times.
“I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it's because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it's because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea - whether it is to sail or to watch it - we are going back from whence we came."

It helped me connect to something far greater than myself that is within me and all around me.

After the first mile, I knew I needed to get myself together on the run.

I cleared away the cobwebs of thoughts that were weighing me down.

I allowed myself to experience the expansiveness of the ocean and the infinite possibilities that exist reflecting on gratitude for my miraculous healing journey in the wake of childhood paralytic polio and trauma.

As I turned over my worries to the Universe, I felt lighter. The tightness in my chest released and I got very focused.

My pace went from 18:26 for mile 1 to 17:24 for mile 2 according to Tom's Garmin.

I felt a determination fire up in my soul as I get ready to run the 5th Annual Middlemiss Big Heart 5K Run, Walk, Roll on September 22.

It's an all pace race and I don't have to "worry" about my time. My goal after running Bermuda this year was to focus on shorter distances and my pace. My body has a lot of recovering to do after I challenged it to 3 consecutive half marathons in as many years and I honor that but I also feel passionate about not allowing external circumstances to impede my recovery efforts or stand between me and my goals. I felt compassion and self-love flow through me honoring the stress in our lives. I felt a shift within me and my pace picked up almost without effort.

When we finished our run


I felt transformed! I loved feeling the trickles of sweat that pooled in the small of my back and the sweat that mingled with tears of release and relief!

Tom looked at the pace of our final 1.1 miles - 17:11!!!

Talk about negative splits on a run but more than the time and the pace was a shift to feeling freedom and a renewed belief that I CAN set and achieve goals when I connect to Source.

I can trust in the process of recovery and I can allow myself to once again run free and unencumbered.

Feeling this fast pace ignited a sense of hope and joy within me as I cast out my troubles. I once again discovered that the cure for anything is saltwater, sweat, tears and the sea!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." It's available for pre-order on Amazon.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


Coming soon *** The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953 ****











No comments:

Post a Comment