Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running - Running is My Therapy!



As I look back on these ten years of running and healing from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma, I realize how deeply grateful I am for the gift of running in my life. Aside from the adventures with starting lines and finish lines, racecations and meeting incredible people, it's the regular benefits I get to experience every time I lace up my shoes and go out on a run.

Our 31 year old daughter is on a journey with recovering her mental health and well being. It's been four years of an ultramarathon. This past week she admitted herself to the hospital - the fourth time in 5 months. It's heartbreaking to see her go through this and takes a toll on the family. Before I had running in my life, I had no outlet for stress. I was a stranger to athletics because of the residuals of paralytic polio and trauma in my body and no one to guide me toward health and well being through exercise.

Running is so much more than exercise in my life.

Last Saturday I woke up exhausted but I knew that the best thing Tom and I could do for ourselves was to go on a run. It was hot and humid. I had frozen the water bottles the night before. After breakfast we headed out the front door. It was a beautiful morning and nature restores the soul.



It was by no means my best pace - especially with the heat and humidity but it got the job done! Tom and I had a wonderful time together sweating out the stress of the previous few days. It was unplugged time together in the sunshine seeing summer in Boston in all of its glory. I felt rejuvenated and energized after the run. We had a full day doing chores, enjoying each other's company, reading and relaxing after the chores were done.

Because of that morning run, I was able to clear away the stress, get the energy flowing in my body and have a good day.

On Monday morning the alarm went off at 6:30 am. A big yawn and stretch. Set the alarm for 20 minutes of meditation, do core work, have a banana and water, and out the door we went for another 5K run.

I needed to, as Tom and I like to say, "Get my yaya's out." I pushed my pace as sweat poured. We talked about what we are grateful for in our lives - how very much there is to be grateful for in our lives while sharing our thoughts and feelings about our daughter and the mental health system.

Each foot strike brought me into the present moment realizing how important it is for me to Let go and Let God; that our daughter's recovery is ultimately up to her and I clearly experienced how important it is for us to take exquisite care of ourselves.

Once again, the morning run worked its mojo. We had a wonderful breakfast together and after I dropped Tom off at work, I got to work on my website. Tom discovered that my website had been hacked and half of my database was wiped out. After connecting with Source and sweating out the stress on our run, I was able to spend the day building a new website. It's even better than my old one!

Yes, running provides incredible physical benefits. The emotional and spiritual benefits of gaining perspective, letting go of what no longer serves me, letting go and turning things over to Source, getting centered in the present moment, enjoying a summer day in Boston, and feeling how everything passes are a tonic for mind, body and soul. The best medicine. I am so blessed and grateful to be celebrating 10 years of running - running IS my therapy!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." It's available for pre-order on Amazon.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment