Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: Happiness on a Morning Run



Before February of 2008, I had never owned a pair of running shoes. I had never run a day in my life. I didn't know anything about the sport of running. Living in Boston you can't help but know about the Boston Marathon but I never really "knew" about the Boston Marathon until I ran it on April 20, 2009. I was on crutches around Marathon time after reconstructive leg surgery followed by hardware removal the following year. I joked and said, "No I won't be running the Boston Marathon...this year." Be careful what you say out to the Universe.

For the past 3 years I have trained for the Bermuda Half Marathon. I loved how I pushed my limits by running 3 consecutive half marathons. I could have stopped setting goals for myself as a runner but that's just not me.

Tom and I have increased the challenges in our pool workouts and in strength training. I'm working on speed for a 5K. I am delighted with my progress and how I am able to experience joy and happiness in my shorter distance runs again without an endurance race looming in the distance.

I'm savoring the end of summer. Yesterday's run brought sunshine, heat, humidity, sweat, the sweet smell of freshly cut grass, green trees and glistening water.

I'm reconditioning my body to shorter distances and to finding that edge to improve my time while finding the joy in the journey! I remind myself that I experience ease and grace in my movement allowing energy to flow through me propelling me forward on my health and wellness journey.

The memories of extreme fatigue, chronic pain, weakness, difficulty with swallowing, breathing and balance and being told I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair continue to fade in the rear view mirror.

Feeling my strength, finding my speed and experiencing happiness and joy on a morning run come into full focus now.

Here are scenes from yesterday's run capturing the brilliance of the end of summer and the ever so subtle transformation from summer to Autumn:


Here is our post-run selfie reflecting the happiness we felt during and after our 3.11 miles:


As a survivor of paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma that took its toll on me mind, body and soul, it's quite the miracle that I can celebrate ten years of running. I appreciate and savor every step. I love the feeling of sweat dripping off of me and of how delicious breakfast tastes once my stomach settles down. Cold orange juice, toast and a bowl of oatmeal tickle my taste buds as my body recovers from the rigors I put it through on my early morning runs.

Celebrating ten years of running - running happy!

From my heart to yours,
To your health and wellness,
Mary

My healing journey is going to be featured in David R. Hamilton's soon to be released book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body." It's available for pre-order on Amazon.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment