Sunday, April 29, 2018

Celebrating Ten Years of Running: On Turtles and The View From the Back of the Pack




On Saturday's 5K run around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir, we paused to take this picture of turtles on the rock:


Seeing the turtles gave me pause to research the turtle as an animal totem:

The turtle is a symbol of longevity, endurance, persistence, and the continuation of life (sometimes against incredible odds). The turtle is a sacred figure in Native American symbolism as it represents Mother Earth.

The turtle symbolism is characterized by the association with the Earth and earth symbols of groundedness and patience:

Symbol of the world, of the Earth
Ability to stay grounded, even in moments of disturbances and chaos
Slowing down, pacing yourself
Determination, persistence
Emotional strength and understanding
Ancient wisdom

The turtle is also linked to the spirit of the water and the fluid nature of emotions.


And gave me pause to reflect on how some of my most special moments in running came because I was a back of the pack runner.

I almost DNF'ed my first 5 mile race; the Marathon Sports 5 miler. It was hot and humid and an evening race in the early days of my recovery from the effects of paralytic polio and childhood trauma. I wanted to quit but Tom wouldn't let me. There was no one else that we could see in front of us or behind us except for the sweep vehicle. At the time I didn't even know what a sweep vehicle was because it was only my 2nd road race in July 2008. When we arrived at the finish, the air horn was blowing and we were celebrated as though we had broken the finisher's tape!

Running in the back of the pack in Bermuda in 2016 gave me a wonderful view of the two leaders in the Marathon battling it out since it was an out and back loop.

I've met some of the most amazing people in the back of the pack where I've discovered "everyone has a story."

I'm not always a back of the pack runner. It depends on the field, how I am feeling on any particular day and what my race goals are for the day.

Right now, I'm with the turtle on the roads and in life while I take a break from racing while I continue to heal and recover from 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years.

This morning Tom and I had a spectacular morning run despite the chill in the air and headwind. The Reservoir on Route 9 is blooming. My heart opens with the opening of the buds overflowing with gratitude that I can celebrate 11 years of healing from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma AND celebrate ten years of running. I did a negative split between miles 1 and 2 and ran strong coming up the hill. I am tuning my body to shorter distances now feeling ecstatic that I overcame my challenges ready to greet and embrace new goals.



It's my pace and my race and slow and steady wins the race!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment