Thursday, April 12, 2018

Celebrating National Poetry Month and the Boston Marathon: Light Always Wins



Sunday marks 5 years since 4/15/13 when at 2:49 people's lives changed forever. Tom and I were at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel ballroom overlooking Boylston Street across from where the 2nd bomb exploded. We were blessed to have not been looking out the window cheering on the runners and so very fortunate to safely evacuate down Huntington Avenue. I am so grateful for the staff at the Mandarin who remained calm and guided us to the back entrance of the Prudential Center as I'm sure they rehearsed many times during safety drills. We were celebrating our 2009 Boston Marathon run with our Spaulding Rehab Race for Rehab teammates waiting for the runners to fill the ballroom and be regaled as we had been celebrated on April 20, 2009.

Yesterday I was heading to Copley Square for a chiropractic appointment.

I paused in Cleveland Circle to take these photos:


I flashed back to the anticipation I felt the Thursday before our Boston Marathon run as I obsessed over every detail including when do the roads close and would we make our bus from Spaulding to Hopkinton?!

I got on the T and when I arrived in Copley Square I was once again in awe of how the City is transformed for Boston Marathon Weekend.

I took these photos:


and paused for a moment.

I was overcome with emotion remembering our 2009 Boston Marathon run and 4/15/13.

The policeman you see in one of the photos came up to me and asked me if I was okay. I forgot I wasn't wearing my sunglasses as the tears flowed curious at first about why he asked me if I was okay.

I told him I was; that it was emotional to be back here. We had a conversation filled with love as we talked about my 2009 Boston Marathon run and the events of 4/15/13. He and his partner were on duty. They were right in between the two blasts and didn't know which way to go to help but followed their instincts to get as many people into wheelchairs and ambulances as they could as quickly as possible. He said that the volunteers in the medical tent did not get enough credit for how quickly they got the "sea of green" wheelchairs out onto Boylston Street.

We each placed one hand on each other's arm and said almost at the same time, "God bless."

I went on my way in the sunshine as the flags at Old South Church waved in the breeze as if to say, "Boston Stronger 5 years later." I felt blessed.

I wrote this poem 4 years ago as we prepared to commemorate the 1st anniversary of 4/15/13:
Light Always Wins

In their flower beds
awakened by the warm Spring sun
they shiver
unexpected wind chill
mid-April in Boston
we shiver to remember
one year ago
what a difference a year makes
turn over from Winter to Spring
slow
is it always this slow
or a gentle reminder
we are still healing.

Mother Nature has her own rhythm
trust in the Divine
taking time
remember
roots extend deep into earth
we were shaken
we rise

eager to shed our coats
vibrant colors of the soul
radiant
reflecting resilience
invincibility
light always wins.


It does you know ... light always wins!


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):




No comments:

Post a Comment