Monday, April 23, 2018

Celebrating 10 Years of Running and National Poetry Month



Ten years ago I began my illustrious running career by training for the 2009 Boston Marathon. I'd never run a day in my life. I'd been diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease and told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. After getting still and asking for Divine Guidance, the answer to my prayers came in the form of a poem .... and then many poems poured out of me in which I imagined myself as healthy, whole, free, running unencumbered and transformed from a survivor of paralytic polio and trauma to an empowered woman who goes the distance on the roads and in my life.

Marathon Metamorphosis

Pounding pavement, feeling strength the journey now begun
training for the race of my life a 26.2 mile run.
Feeling God in every step in every beat of my heart
I undertake this challenge as a new chapter of my life I start.

I ran around in circles carrying baggage by the ton,
destination was survival hardened shell let in no one.
Fear and worry doubts prevailed, adrenaline in my veins
a headless horseman running wild no one to take the reins.

Stopping in my tracks I froze no longer could I move -
clawing, fighting had to cease there was nothing more to prove.
God's grace touched like a magic wand, a softness and a glow
emerging from a troubled past my blood began to flow.

Loving teachers lit the way their love a healing balm -
focusing on who I am now brings a sense of calm.
Stretching every muscle feeling God in every cell
wholeness now a blessing out of prison - no more hell.

The race is still a year away each day my dream I see
mind, body, spirit tuning turning toward the Voice of Thee.
Flexing what had once been stiff to brace against the pain
old habits die and I'm reborn to write a new refrain.

And when the starting gun goes off poised with strength and grace
the thunder of the running feet will help me set my pace.
But the starting line's the finish my race already won
achieving the impossible preparing for this run.

The healing power of self-love and faith to spark the flame
transformed me from a victim once filled with so much shame.
Unearth my buried treasures my inheritance I find
connected to my Loving God in my heart and mind.

And when I cross the finish line the greatest cheer of all
has been this magnificent journey of answering God's call.


Between the weather and my recovery from my 3rd consecutive Bermuda Half Marathon, Tom and I had not been out on an early morning run together since late last year. I'd been doing only one run a week and used the stationary bike at the gym for a cardio workout. But with the sun shining and Spring poised and ready to make its appearance in Boston, I could not bear to go to the gym for my workout.

Tom and I set the alarm for 6:00am. We meditated, did our core work, had a piece of toast and water and went out the door to our beautiful and beloved reservoir on Route 9.

We listened to the birds singing and noticed the beautiful yellow daffodils. The purple wildflowers lined the path poking their heads out from the grass bed.

I have to be very mindful of my pace these days as my hip and groin continue to recover from the rigors of training and running 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years. Tom is great at reeling me in. I could see and feel in my mind's eye that 12 minute/mile pace that is my ultimate goal for short distances.

I am deeply grateful and blessed for the joy of movement at any pace especially on a glorious Spring morning.



I'm celebrating ten years of running and going strong ... and to think it all started with a poem.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):



No comments:

Post a Comment