Thursday, April 5, 2018

Celebrating National Poetry Month: Foot Strike



As I began my training for the 2009 Boston Marathon, I discovered the healing power of running. I experienced the power of my foot strike to bring me out of the past, into the present moment, creating a new future of health, wellness, unbridled joy and freed. Before I sought out running quotes or was a part of the running community, I wrote this poem:


Foot Strike

Each strike struck a chord of fear
helplessness
terror.
How would I ever reclaim my life?
Holding onto hope
waiting for the day
when memories would no longer weigh heavy
free to run my own race.
Stomping in anger
striking back
shadow boxing with the thief
who stole away childhood innocence
a no win.
Each foot strike ignites my soul
fired up to run my best race
taking the lead
breaking finisher’s tape

today I won my race.


Running is in fact poetry in motion; my poetry fueled my running and healing journey from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma.

Born to Run

Born free
born to run
run free
unencumbered untethered unshackled
pouring energy into my running form
liquid gold once fired in the crucible
now my treasure born of my Spirit molded with alchemy
refining
my precious treasure once buried
the map safely tucked away
X marks the spot
a new starting line.
Poised and ready
to go the distance
all out without hesitation
all is healed at last
my pace swift
Mercury and Hermes pace me on winged feet
I AM
born to run
running free
joyfully crossing the finish line with ease.


It's the 10th anniversary of my running adventures and the 11th anniversary on 5/25 when I took a leap of faith leaving my award winning social work career at the VA to heal my life from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and trauma. Each foot strike has been a blessing and has taken me away from my past into the gift of the present while creating a beautiful life. With each foot strike I transformed from a survivor into a strong, resilient and beautiful woman - the woman I was always meant to be who embodies the power of endurance.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):








No comments:

Post a Comment