Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Celebrating National Poetry Month: Sweet Victory



I vowed that if the day came that I could no longer serve my veterans and their families when I worked as a social worker at the VA Outpatient Clinic in Boston with all my heart and soul, I would leave. Eleven years ago I gave my 6 weeks notice that I would be terminating my almost 20 year award winning career at the VA. I knew that I was burned out mind, body and soul in part as a result of the intense work that requires exquisite self-care; a skill I had not yet acquired and in part because it was time for me to heal my life from the effects of childhood paralytic polio and severe emotional, physical and sexual trauma.

It was time for me to heal my life...

At the time I had no idea what it meant.

I had no idea what I was going to do until I discovered the gift of poetry in my soul that opened up a whole new world for me.

I discovered the healing power of running and the healing power of writing poetry as I imagined myself in a new future. As a sculptor chisels or molds out a creation from the medium, I was molding a new way of Being out of the rubble of my past.

It was heart breaking to leave the VA where once I had found my passion to serve those who serve but I knew that if I didn't move forward in my life, I would not have a life after I was given the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine Standards.

What joy I experienced and continue to experience when I write poetry. It's been a long road but now I get to experience:

Sweet Victory - from Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life

On the battlefield of life
when we fight the good fight
with compassion
a heart for a heart
to the victor goes the spoils.

A treasure trove of Truth
scars merely badges of honor
wounds healed
secret weapon of loving kindness
vapors of fear
tears spilled
water bathing the garden of my soul
yielding to joy
as treaty signed with forgiveness
sweet reward of peace.

Lush landscape
fragrant green grass
a winding road leading to everywhere
I run
unencumbered
untethered
strapping and healthy
free to be me
my victory lap.


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):



No comments:

Post a Comment