Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Celebrating Independence Day!




Every year on July 4th, America celebrates its Independence. It's a wonderful time to pause and reflect on the meaning of independence and freedom in our lives.

As a survivor of paralytic polio and severe childhood trauma, my freedom is dear and precious to me. During the summer of 1971, my mother and I were held hostage in our home by my father's alcoholic rages. Even though my parents were separated, he would stalk us in the evening. By 5pm we had to be in the house with the curtains and blinds closed. I pleaded with my mother to not let him in the house but she was strung out on narcotic pain medication and would let him in. On August 1, he ended his life.

Ten years ago I was diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease. I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life confined to a wheelchair.

It would be easy to feel trapped and confined by circumstances, by a sense of outrage, harbor a sense of victimization and have chosen a very different path than the path of liberation I choose to live.

Like Forrest Gump, I've learned to break free from the shackles - both literal and metaphorical of my past and like Forrest Gump, running set me free!

Today Team McManus went on a 5K run on our road to the Bermuda Marathon Weekend. I know how blessed I am to have the gift of running in my life! I know how blessed I am to celebrate my independence and freedom from some of the most horrific circumstances any human being should have to face.



Today I am celebrating Independence Day with my beautiful family through the gift of running and the gift of quality time together.

Let freedom ring!

Go the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


No comments:

Post a Comment