Friday, December 18, 2015

Going the Distance: Is It Possible?



A year ago if you would have asked me if it would be possible for me to run another half marathon or even run period I would have said I don't think so. I think my running days are behind me or at the very best I might be able to run a 5K or a 5 miler.

And then I met Ryan J. Means,DC. DC stands for doctor of chiropractic medicine. I think it should stand for dismiss common beliefs.

From the moment I met him I could feel his passion for his work and his belief that as a healer, he facilitates the body's natural ability to heal.

Together we decided that I should set goals not limits and I felt the stirrings of being an endurance runner again.

As I sit here writing this, I am thinking about where I will be in one month in the afternoon. I could see myself with my medal from the Bermuda Half Marathon around my neck sitting by the pool feeling deeply satisfied with my accomplishment.

I'm feeling all sorts of new sensations in my body as I train in a way I haven't trained in 6 years and I never trained with this level of intensity. I remind myself that I am the Placebo and can and will go the distance. Tomorrow our running club has our annual charitable event for Christmas Baskets so we will do our long run on Sunday. 12 miles - 12 miles! It's the one year anniversary of when I experienced that serious knee injury and was told I shouldn't/wouldn't/couldn't run again.

Is it possible? It is indeed possible for this survivor of paralytic polio and violence to heal and be transformed, transcending all that went before to go the distance on January 17, 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment