Monday, December 28, 2015

Countdown to Bermuda: Let the Taper Madness Begin



It's wonderful to have this time with Tom to get ready for Bermuda. He is on vacation this week and today we enjoyed cross training in the pool at Wave Health and Fitness. He kicks my butt out on the roads and I get to return the favor when we cross train and strength train!

My dear friend Stephanie who ran the Bermuda Half in January of 2015 was there and she vicariously lived through us remembering her training and counting down to Bermuda last year. We talked about the itchiness of taper time and how wonderful it is to enjoy every moment leading up to and then during the race. She told me we have to stop and take pictures!

I feel incredibly accomplished and deeply grateful to Ryan Means, DC that I am able to go the distance again. I remember taper madness from the 2009 Boston Marathon. I focused all of my anxiety of whether or not we were going to make it to the bus on time and terrified the roads would be closed before we got there.

With a runcation you have a whole different set of things to focus on for taper madness time. I dismiss each one and replace it with creating in my mind's eye exactly what I want to have happen knowing that God has blessed this journey from the start. I rewrote one of the poems I wrote on our road to the Boston Marathon to fit this most wonderful occasion:

Half Marathon Sunday

It's Half Marathon Sunday, it's our day to shine
on Front Street Bermuda Team McManus poised at starting line.
I know I can do this - there's no way to fail
tethered to God through this race I can sail.

For over six months, we've trained from our heart
mind, body, and spirit - we're ready to start.
We know the course and we know the terrain
we're primed for the challenge - so much we will gain.

The glory's far greater than what we may face
we're living examples of God's shining Grace.
Shake out all the nerves - there's nothing to fear
let in all the love from the crowds as they cheer.

With prayers and angels our feet feel so light
joy overflowing the finish in sight.
We'll conquer the course fueled by love in our heart
the race had been won blessed by God from the start.







No comments:

Post a Comment